Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2006, 04:17 PM

Default ($60t) AQ 2-pair facing river bet

lol donkeys always draw. did i play flop/turn alright? call or fold river? it didn't seem like i had a choice.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t3055)
Hero (t1400)
MP1 (t1435)
MP2 (t1670)
CO (t1445)
Button (t1395)
SB (t1590)
BB (t1510)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t90</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t75, BB calls t60

Flop: (t270) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t180</font>, SB calls t180, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Turn: (t630) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t360</font>, SB calls t360

River: (t1350) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t960 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t770 (All-in)
Old 08-06-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: ($60t) AQ 2-pair facing river bet

I MIGHT push the turn because this screams flush draw to me and I wouldn't mind taking down 630 chips right here, but once that queen hit you weren't getting out of this hand.

I don't see anything wrong with your line though.

EDIT: I just realized you started with 1400 chips. I definitely push the turn.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:37 PM

I would have pushed the turn. River call is fine IMO as I don't see how you can let top two go and leave yourself with only 700 chips left.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:44 PM

i knew someone would say to shove the turn, but let me say why i think making a decent-sized bet is a better option.

when i bet 360, i have 770 chips behind so if he wants to call he's paying 360 to win 1130 ASSUMING he stacks me if he hits his flush. so he's getting slightly over 3 to 1 on my stack when he only makes his flush about 1 time out of 5.

so basically i WANT him to call a bet that's not giving him odds. that was my thought process at the time. but does the fact that this is a tournament override the fact that i'm not giving him correct odds? meaning i'd rather take down the medium-sized pot with a big overbet, rather than gain value out of his bad call on the turn?
Old 08-06-2006, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does the fact that this is a tournament override the fact that i'm not giving him correct odds? meaning i'd rather take down the medium-sized pot with a big overbet, rather than gain value out of his bad call on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not this early IMO. I would however make the mistake somewhat bigger. If he call t350, he will call t450 as well. The key is to give him some illusion of implied odds and you still accomplish that.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:38 PM

I raise a little more on the flop. I push the turn, but if you don't like that, I still raise more than you did. Your hand is strong, and If he's drawing to hearts, you want to make him pay for them.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when i bet 360, i have 770 chips behind so if he wants to call he's paying 360 to win 1130 ASSUMING he stacks me if he hits his flush. so he's getting slightly over 3 to 1 on my stack when he only makes his flush about 1 time out of 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? If he knows he can stack you if he hits (a reasonable assumption), he's paying 360 to win 1760, giving him 4.9-1 implied odds on a 4-1 draw. Now, on the plus side, as long as he doesn't hold A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], one or two of his 'outs' could bust him. But I don't think this happens often enough to make his calling this bet a big mistake.

I think a push is probably best here, because, like you said, the chips you could gain aren't as valuable as the ones you could lose by inducing a call. Besides, a lot of folks will come along anyway with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].