Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Best site for SSTs

I've previously been a smallstakes limit only player, but am now dabbling in SSTs. In conjunction with reading Harrington as well as NLH-T&P I've started playing the small STTs on Cryptologic (since that's where I play limit mostly).

In my microscopic sample of 20 fullring tournements Buyins between 1 and 5 pounds), I've won 5 and conme in 2nd in 3. Obviously, the number of wins cannot be seen as statistically very meaningful, but it's pretty obvious that even with my newly gained NL knowledge I'm better than the opponents at this level (no suprise considering it's the lowest level of tournement hosted).

My question is, if I plan on playing more SSTs and moving up a bit ashould I switch to another site (Party? Stars?) or am I best of staying at Cryptologic (where I get rakeback). Are thep layers at the low levels in Stars/Party really that much worse?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Onnel
Old 08-06-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Best site for SSTs

mods: can we pick one Stars Or Party thread and sticky it so we don't have a new one every other day?

OP: Party has more tables, more low-stakes rake (5+1), more bad players, more unmentionable, and more problems with the software and customer service.

Stars has less rake (5+.50, 6+.50 turbos), better software and support, marginally better players (more people multi-tabling the 6.50s, but the vast majority of them are still bad), and a VIP program instead of unmentionable. If you play a *lot,* the VIP program will pay you off pretty nicely. If you don't, you can at least get some good free poker books out of the deal. Also, as you move up in levels, you'll find that the tables fill up more slowly.

Anyone with HOH skills can crush the low-stakes games at either site. Good luck, and read this forum regularly.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:39 PM

What is an SST? I hope it's not somethng Degen brought back from Thailand. I'm allergic to penicillin.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:40 PM

I just switched from UB to Stars because their HH's are compatible with more converters and replayers.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is an SST? I hope it's not somethng Degen brought back from Thailand. I'm allergic to penicillin.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2006, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. i wish exactly your description had been in the FAQ. I tried searching, but it's sort of a hard topic to search for.

thanks in any case!

Onnel
Old 08-06-2006, 01:53 PM

you're quite welcome; since I'm not good enough to give advice on strategy, I can at least direct traffic. ^_^