Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Re: JJ

I seem to always lead the flop and fold when raised (which I always am). Maybe I need to try out a new strategy!
Old 08-05-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I lead the flop and fold to anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
How are you handling later streets? say turn is a blank? Are you leading both the flop/turn and c/f-ing the river?
Old 08-05-2006, 06:37 PM

Check/call flop, lead turn is my favoured line V unknowns but his spot never seems to end well unless you flop a set. Reads are so important in these situations cause you can often check/fold the turn if he never 2nd barrells bluffs saving the more costly lead.

With a full PSB put in on the flop I have folded this flop a good % of the time as well, playing JJ for set value only, which may be very nitty but I usually like to have more control over the betting if I am putting a lot of chips in.

Villain so often has us drawing nearly dead or has 6 clean outs following this pre-flop action and has complete control of the hand that we are just along for the ride! Nasty stuff. Even if he turns out to be a virtual maniac, whilst in the "unknown" stage he can put so much pressure on our hand which makes this spot even worse.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:42 PM

I wouldn't mind leading the flop but I don't want to have to fold to a raise, when check calling gets me to see the turn for the same price that leading and folding to a reraise does not allow me to see the turn.

I'd rather c/r this flop, than if we are against an overpair we have some FE maybe we can convince him we have a set.

those are options 2 and 3, the way you played the hand with a check call is the way I prefer to play it.

How did this hand turn out?
Old 08-05-2006, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the plan on the flop, check call, keep the pot small.

Given my read, 88, A-Q who knows, JJ is a good enough hand for me to find out what he's up to

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with the first statement b/c of the second. You are probably ahead on the flop but any number of scare cards or a bluff also cost you the pot. i try to take it down on the flop and then shut down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me? The flop min reraise is more often than not a higher pair... I can see A-K doing this, what else do you think he is min reraising with?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Hero is as aggro as I think he is (because he's a 2p2er), then he probably gets min-re-raised all the time.

When my cards are running well, my pfr is like 19%. I get min-rr by Axs, any two broadway suited, most pairs, even some junk like KJo.

This is because most Villains are sick of you raising and think that reraising gives them the initiative (to some extent true), but they don't really have the cojones to risk a real RR unless they have the goods. Of course, some Villains just min-rr with big pairs and AK as well.

Whether or not you play for stacks here depends entirely on the Villain, but since they're unknown my default is to be treat my hand here as moderately good.

I c/c this flop and probably bet/fold the turn (but unlike one of the above posters, I lead for only 2/3 pot or so). But I think c/c flop c/f to a large turn bet is also fine.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:33 PM

this is a new player to the table he hasn't been watching OP raise and raise, unless the unlikely event there was a wait for the table and our Villian was actually watching the table.

This screams of a higher pair to me, that's my first thought
Old 08-05-2006, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the plan on the flop, check call, keep the pot small.

Given my read, 88, A-Q who knows, JJ is a good enough hand for me to find out what he's up to

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with the first statement b/c of the second. You are probably ahead on the flop but any number of scare cards or a bluff also cost you the pot. i try to take it down on the flop and then shut down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me? The flop min reraise is more often than not a higher pair... I can see A-K doing this, what else do you think he is min reraising with?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO: As the poster above wrote: 88+ AQ+ and I would add: a lot of junk if the player is bad, which is not ruled out but is supported by the min raise. The opponent wants to take charge of the hand. Poster has the 3rd best starting hand pf and probably is still ahead. I advocate leading in order to take it down, or get out cheaply. I'm not advocating playing a big pot.

edited for grammar.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:47 PM

I've read the other post, all well pointed out, but I would have folded cause you just got there and have no solid reads so Id rather fold and take my time and pick up some reads.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:55 PM

The problem with this reasoning is that it is dependent on hero's image, and hero just showed up.

B/f the flop is probably my preferred line. Honesetly, if I'm calling PF for set value, then I have to play it for set value. As played here, villian has said twice he probably has a bigger PP and it might be worth believing him here.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:58 PM

i call, check turn. seems like the best move.