Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2006, 08:40 PM

Default Re: I pay off

It's really a matter of reading into the texture of the board. If you had raised preflop with AA or KK as you've said, you've at least defined your hand to the other players. Facing an opponent that plays back at you, you've got to determine whether the board is one that facilitates your opponent having hit a set or 2-pair.

On flops like 9 7 4, I'd be more weary of a set. On a flop like J 10 5, I'd be worried about J/10 2-pair possibly, or someone holding KQ.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:08 PM

Thanks.

I'm not sure I agree with your post though. Playing 6-max there's a lot of preflop raises and that (obviously) doesn't define one's hand much, unless you do some 10xbb pf-bet or there's a lot of re-raising going on. My problem is that I find it difficult to decide what the actions means based on the betting + the flop. In your 9 7 4 and J T 5 examples, I would think that 9 7 4 meant overpair, 9/good kicker OR two pair/set. Same goes for flop two - with some concern about the draw added.

A typical hand for me would be this: I hold 99 in LP and raise one limper. Flop comes 98A. Check, I bet 2/3, limper calls. Turn is a 3. Check, I bet 1/2, limper calls. River is a 5. Limper bets pot (which is pretty much the rest of the stack, given 100xbb starting stacks) and I call. (The alternative is that I am check-raised all in, which I call).

Obviously I'm thinking he flopped an OESD and hit his card on the river, but I'm also thinking strong ace, bluff, funny two pair etc, so I call. I have never ever folded a hand like that, I think, not even with deep stacks.

I'm most definitely a limit donk.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:13 PM

you're not a donk for doing that, i would call that all day. there's two hands that beat you, 67 and AA, and the villain is probably taking action like this with A8, A9, 89, and probably AK & AQ.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's really a matter of reading into the texture of the board. If you had raised preflop with AA or KK as you've said, you've at least defined your hand to the other players. Facing an opponent that plays back at you, you've got to determine whether the board is one that facilitates your opponent having hit a set or 2-pair.

On flops like 9 7 4, I'd be more weary of a set. On a flop like J 10 5, I'd be worried about J/10 2-pair possibly, or someone holding KQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

If raising preflop means you define your hand as AA/KK you need to raise a lot more often