Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 01:34 PM

Default UTG +1 limp with AKo

WSOP ME 100-200 blinds no ante yet. UTG +1 limps with AK offsuit and invites 2 more limpers and both blinds to join. Flop comes AK7 no suits. SB (small stack of about 5K) bets 600 and BB (table big stack of just over 31K) calls. UTG+1 started the hand with 2nd biggest stack of 15.5K raises to 2,600 with top two pair. Everyone folds to BB who contemplates for a minute and says "I'll give you action". The two have been in several pots together and have been two of the most active players at the table. No one has busted from the table yet so between the two of them they have almost half the chips in play at the table.

Turn is a 3 (AK73) with no flush draws. BB checks and UTG+1 bets 3,000. With very little hesitation BB moves a stack of 1,000 and 500 chips out that will put UTG+1 all in.

Call or fold?
Old 08-04-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: UTG +1 limp with AKo

call
Old 08-04-2006, 02:53 PM

Fold, hero has to have AK and villain can't expect to move him off it with air. I can't imagine SB leading out without an ace of some sort, so BB either has: ak (2 ways), or 77 (3-ways). I doubt he pushes with a7 after just calling the flop raise, when hero probably has ak. I raise less on the flop and shut on the turn after the suspicious call by BB and calling the raise.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold, hero has to have AK and villain can't expect to move him off it with air. I can't imagine SB leading out without an ace of some sort, so BB either has: ak (2 ways), or 77 (3-ways). I doubt he pushes with a7 after just calling the flop raise, when hero probably has ak. I raise less on the flop and shut on the turn after the suspicious call by BB and calling the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can he really put him on AK w/ the UTG+1 limp? I doubt AK is his only range here. I call.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw worse bluffs in the ME, so knowing a bit more about Villain might be useful, but I'm having trouble coming up with a hand other than AK/77 that either player is representing here, and villain sure doesn't seem worried about 77 (which I would guess from his perspective would make more sense given the action, unless, of course, that's what he has).

Against a range of AK/A7/77/33 on the turn Hero's equity is 51.7%. Against AK/77 it's 32.5% I don't think villain never has A7/33/bluff here so real equity is probably in the middle somewhere, which I guess makes it close.

On the plus side, fold or call you get to tell a story about getting screwed playing AK OOP. I'm just glad my AK decisions were easier than this. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2006, 05:33 PM

What is your range for UTG+1, SB and BB?

First off BB isn't floating a pair of 33 here, so to c/r the turn after calling 2 raises smells like a trap. Most players aren't going to do this with a hand that has say 10+ combinations ahead of it (like a7 or some crap), after a big raise on the flop. BB also probably isn't checking AA or KK behind PF, so that leaves 77, or an inconsistently played AK.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:54 PM

I would call, although, as the history at the table shows and the way the hand was played, I could be looking at a set of 777.

I just don't think action-jackson in BB would only check pre-flop with pocket 77 or 33 after everybody else limped. I think he's pushing with A7s or K7s.

BTW, I don't get the call on the flop. Hero shoulda moved in.

Mickey Brausch
Old 08-05-2006, 09:39 AM

Call. The only hand villain can reasonably have that beats you is 77. He is not putting you on AK, although you could have a set. He oculd have two pair. In any case, by the time he raises allin you are pot committed.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:08 AM

Call