Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Got knocked out! Kinda long..advice needed

[ QUOTE ]
I would get immediate revenge, as is standard operating procedure for people who are [censored] crazy and love to commit felony arson and attempted murder . I would wait outside where it happened and when he or anyone else i recognized came out, i would beat them within an inch of their life. a similar thing happened to my friend and he went back and burned the guys house to the ground and would have killed him if he had been able to find him. i cant imagine getting jumped for no reason by a bunch of random [censored] and getting possibly permanent head damage and then just going surfing/riding a bike around and wondering where to get medical help. what a bitch you are. i need to be saved by jesus .

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-04-2006, 06:41 PM

Don't see a doctor. Real men recover on their own like you've been doing. Sack up and take a tylenol (or if you're a real man a few shots of 151), then go bust out some heavy reps in the gym. I want you to bench until you feel like your head is going to burst... hypothetically, of course.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:16 PM

Well, let's look at this from another angle - when do you need a head CT, which is the question at hand.....

Like most things in medicine, the short answer is "it depends" - on a bunch of things.

In cases of significant head injury, from an ER MD's point of view, I pretty much want to know if there is any bleeding within the brain. Bleeding comes in three flavors -

subdural - venous, and beneath the dura - more or less a slow leak, so it can present pretty slowly and nonspecifically.
epidural - arterial, usually from the middle meningeal artery - classically, a blow on the side of the head, with the patient being briefly unconscious, then awake for a time (perhaps up to 30 minutes) and then crumping. These patients do very well if caught early, not so well if allowed to crump.
Intraparynchemal Hemorrhaging - blood inside the brain tissue - from minor to fatal......depending on severity.

It's been pretty well shown that a useful decision tree for ordering or not ordering the CT looks pretty much like the following (in adults - kids are a bit more complicated).

People who -

-- have been knocked out (not dazed, not dizzy, not stunned - OUT like Mike Tyson in his good days)

-- are alcoholics with any significant head trauma

-- are on a medicine called coumadin

-- have a focal neurologic finding

-- are over the age of 60 with significant head trauma

are all in the group that will have a significant risk of having findings on CT - mostly blood where it shouldn't be.

Like most things in medicine, it all makes sense if you understand it.
-- To get knocked out, it generally requires a pretty good blow to the head - no surprise that some of these patients end up with a brain injury.
-- People on coumadin actually bleed into their heads WITHOUT trauma fairly often, so a bonk on the head doesn't make me feel better about their chances. Additionally, sometimes a patient breaks a blood vessel, falls and ends up with some bruising - but the bleed preceded the fall....
-- alcoholics and old people both have shrinking of the brain - this leads to bleeding when the bridging veins are snapped back and forth during trauma, and break open - younger and/or non-alcoholics get a bit of shock absorber action from thier brain tissue, and are less likely to bleed
-- a focal neurologic finding is something along the lines of "I can't move my right leg" or "I can't see out of my left eye" - usually indicates something is being pressed on by a blood clot or that a blood vessel is disrupted.

Pretty much, in adults, if you don't fit into one of the above slots, you're PROBABLY ok - but.....

1) you may still have a concussion, in which case you'll feel poorly for an indeterminate of time - nauseated, headaches, dizzy, problems with short term memory.
2) you may be one of the rare unlucky types who has what is described as a "Delayed subdural" - meaning you bleed a few days out.....

For the OP - get a head CT and a neuro referral - the chances are very very high that nothing will show up....but you only get issued one brain.....

MM MD
Old 08-05-2006, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So the guys randomly attacked you for no reason... this story kinda sounds mad upish

no blood or nothing?

why would the guys not rob you after beating the [censored] out of you?

but more importantlly, how do you plan on getting revenege? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I had indicated I was wasted, so I probably was more confrontational towards to boyfriend than I should've been. I'm a pretty loud person which might not be the best stance to take in these situations. But as far as the buddies were concerned they just jumped out of their car and started running up to us, at which point I backed off and the boyfriend attacked. So I wasn't really randomly attacked, more like I got into an argument with a guy who got a big confidence booster when his friends showed up, and then the friends just decided to join in...but like I said I was wasted, I got knocked out, and the only moments I clearly remember is the actual fight (up to knockout) and trying to get up afterwards.

No blood outside, only inside of my cheek was bleeding the next morning, a little bit of bruising on the outside corner of my left eye, a nice big bump on the back of the head, and lots of bruises on my body...the body bruises were clearly from getting kicked.

The cabby broke it all up, so they never had the chance to rob me...although I don't really see the correlation between a random fight and the need to rob someone, unless the whole thing with the girl was staged, which I doubt.

no plans for revenge...i try to keep all my fighting in the gym...besides I doubt I would recognise those guys anyway
Old 08-05-2006, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody ever wins a fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell are you talking about? The guys that beat the crap out of OP won the fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo outnumbering the other person 4-1 and still having one of your guys get knocked out doesn't really make them winners...i was definitely the loser in this event but that hardly makes them winners...can't really make for a good brag story to tell people that you and three of your friends jumped a single guy

but since you're in SD, I take it you must be very proud of your friends to call them winners here!
Old 08-05-2006, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So the guys randomly attacked you for no reason... this story kinda sounds mad upish

no blood or nothing?

why would the guys not rob you after beating the [censored] out of you?

but more importantlly, how do you plan on getting revenege? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I had indicated I was wasted, so I probably was more confrontational towards to boyfriend than I should've been. I'm a pretty loud person which might not be the best stance to take in these situations. But as far as the buddies were concerned they just jumped out of their car and started running up to us, at which point I backed off and the boyfriend attacked. So I wasn't really randomly attacked, more like I got into an argument with a guy who got a big confidence booster when his friends showed up, and then the friends just decided to join in...but like I said I was wasted, I got knocked out, and the only moments I clearly remember is the actual fight (up to knockout) and trying to get up afterwards.

No blood outside, only inside of my cheek was bleeding the next morning, a little bit of bruising on the outside corner of my left eye, a nice big bump on the back of the head, and lots of bruises on my body...the body bruises were clearly from getting kicked.

The cabby broke it all up, so they never had the chance to rob me...although I don't really see the correlation between a random fight and the need to rob someone, unless the whole thing with the girl was staged, which I doubt.

no plans for revenge...i try to keep all my fighting in the gym...besides I doubt I would recognise those guys anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

ok cool thanks for clarifing that,

makes abit more sense now