Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 01:32 PM

Default stud 8/b at canterbury

I posted this in B&M but got no responses... So I figured I'd try this forum..

I'm going to Canterbury next week and might want to try the 6/12 stud 8/b game there. Is the game good? Does it only run specific times? How much do people usually buy-in for? Any 2p2ers play it often?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Re: stud 8/b at canterbury

The game is fairly good, but it does not always go off. Thursday night is your best bet, or on a weekend. You might want to call ahead.

While stud 8 is my favorite game, I've found the hold 'em to be more profitable at Canterbury. The stud 8 game has some more seasoned players; the last time I played there was one gentleman who appeared in his mid 40s who seemed to play looser than the rest of the table, and one player who was just awful. He was also 40-something, and heavy-set; got stuck on several hands and said more than once "I just hate this game!" while mucking his hand (of course his hatered didn't cause him to get up and leave).

Good luck if you do play, but like I said despite the suck-out factor I've found the LLHE to be a better money-maker for me, and prefer the stud 8 on PokerStars.

Paul
Old 07-22-2006, 11:52 AM

I've played in this game a fair amount over the years. Currently, it goes every Friday and sometimes on other days. The last couple of times that I've been at CP on a Saturday it has broken early. The typical player is fifty-some, too loose, and not aggressive enough. Some of the players are pretty bad, but with the high rake and split pot, this game is not as profitable as the hold'em games at the same limit, and this is true for me even though I consider myself much stronger at stud/8 than at hold'em. I play it sometimes for a few reasons. One, it's a much lower variance game, so if I feel like I only have a few hundred dollars to gamble with in a given week, it's a good spot for me. Another is that most of the players in that game are guys that I've been friends with for years, and I really enjoy the game. Finally, $30/60 stud/8 pops up now and again, and I like to keep my chops in shape.

Most folks buy in for $200. I usually buy in for $300--a rack of $2 chips and a rack of $1 chips. It takes a few hours to ante off a rack of $1 chips.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:02 PM

Too late for your trip obviously, but some news on the game. The good news is that the grumpy Omaha players who used to sit in the game and badger new players haven't been around for a few weeks. The bad news is that the game is dying out. It didn't go today, and it didn't go two weeks ago. Last week the game was very good, but it broke up about 8PM.