Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Re: \"Official\" WSOP Circuit thread (Bally\'s LV Pt. 2 and 3)

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, don't know why. His "confidence" comes off kind of cocky to me, and the jokes he makes are not particularly funny to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only thing I found even mildly cheesy was when he handed out the sugar packets at the FT so they could "pass the sugah."

Otherwise, I thought he handled himself well. His habit of not wanting to look at the board during all-in hands is kind of amusing.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Scotty Nguyen is thinking about calling with 88. He asks the old guy "Where you from, baby?" the guy says "California" and Scotty mucks.

Was Scotty angle shooting for a tell here? When the guy pretty quickly and calmly answers the question that = not bluffing, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? That isn't angle shooting

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. Talking to people is standard.

To answer the question, I think Scotty was folding no matter what.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I second that. Don't know what it is, but he has an air about him that I find unlikable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he's confident?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, don't know why. His "confidence" comes off kind of cocky to me, and the jokes he makes are not particularly funny to me. He could be the greatest guy in the world. Just my opinion from what I see on TV.

I like many "confident" people that others don't (in poker, Negreanu, Greenstein to name two), and can't say I can explain that either. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an insincerity about him. That's not particularly a slam - he's a poker player after all. But I feel like he's always calculating, saying things for effect. I think he played Dannenman like a fiddle at the FT last year, and more power to him.

With Scotty, it feels more like you take him and his chatter for what it is, you might think it's funny or not, but it's his schtick and it doesn't vary all that much. With Hachem it seems more tailored to ingratiate himself with the other players. He always seems to want you to think that he's your buddy.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well according to Hachem, he’s got the “Lebanese hot blood”. Seriously, I’ve heard him in three different extended interviews, and he seems like a very nice, genuine guy.

Kiddo Pham is the luckiest, stupidest SOB (at least according to the edited hands on the broadcast). Winning a poker tournament is easy when you suck on with 2 flush draws and crack KK w/JTo. Hachem should be thinking “I will kill you in any cash game.”

[/ QUOTE ]

actually he's a really nice guy and plays a 100/200NL game here in dallas that he kills on a pretty consistent basis.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's an insincerity about him. That's not particularly a slam - he's a poker player after all. But I feel like he's always calculating, saying things for effect. I think he played Dannenman like a fiddle at the FT last year, and more power to him.

With Scotty, it feels more like you take him and his chatter for what it is, you might think it's funny or not, but it's his schtick and it doesn't vary all that much. With Hachem it seems more tailored to ingratiate himself with the other players. He always seems to want you to think that he's your buddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Careful not to confuse table image with the real man. A pro poker player would be insane not to use all his skills, including table image. As has been mentioned, when he's talking away from the table he seems very down-to-earth.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well according to Hachem, he’s got the “Lebanese hot blood”. Seriously, I’ve heard him in three different extended interviews, and he seems like a very nice, genuine guy.

Kiddo Pham is the luckiest, stupidest SOB (at least according to the edited hands on the broadcast). Winning a poker tournament is easy when you suck on with 2 flush draws and crack KK w/JTo. Hachem should be thinking “I will kill you in any cash game.”

[/ QUOTE ]

actually he's a really nice guy and plays a 100/200NL game here in dallas that he kills on a pretty consistent basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pham or Hachem? FWIW, I am sure both are very nice guys.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:47 PM

Did you hear Hachem when Phams J-10 is turned over. "Why don't they ever believe me????" People take a lot of shots at the Champ. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2006, 03:25 PM

I loved Harman pushing over Doug's chip stack after being knocked out. It was all in good fun...

but seriously, that hand had to be a rollercoaster. Ahead all-in pre flop (Up), flop putting the other guy ahead (down), turn is one of your 6 outs to put you ahead (Way Up), and then a 5 outer on the river (if I remember the hand right) (Way Down)
Old 08-08-2006, 04:45 PM

At the WSOP I chatted with a guy from Australia for a while. He said that Hachem is disliked amongst Australian poker players, both for his skill (or lack thereof) and personality - supposedly he is not a nice guy, or didn't used to be. This has gotten better over the past year, as he presumably had some sort of image coaching and obviously has improved his game.

It's all hearsay though.