Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 03:43 PM

Default Re: I heart huckabees

[ QUOTE ]
for those that didn't like it, could you be more specific about why it wasn't funny?

i guess people either love it or hate it. i think it's the funniest movie i've ever seen and i find new things to laugh about or think about every time i watch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

For as good of an actor as he used to be, I don't think Dustin Hoffman was ever funny. And, IMO, he's been unwatchable in everything he's done since Sleepers.

They tried so hard to make every line of dialogue as clever as possible and for that reason I could never get into the story. Everything seemed so forced and lame and at no point was I not acutely aware that these were merely actors reciting a screenplay.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:49 PM

Location: I\'m going to have a really long and curious location so that people will have to click on my name to see how it concludes. To anyone reading this- OWNED!

I loved this movie but I still don't understand existenialism. Everytime I try to read up on it, it seems like I'm just being lured into this circular logic which I don't understand.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I loved this movie but I still don't understand existenialism. Everytime I try to read up on it, it seems like I'm just being lured into this circular logic which I don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? The tenets of Existentialism seem to be pretty simple... what do you have a problem with, exactly? If you're talking about reading Sartre's Being and Nothingness, I can't help you though [i haven't read it].
Old 08-04-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW, it's hard to find existenialists that agree on what existenialism is. Many philosophers would say there's not much to get.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for those that didn't like it, could you be more specific about why it wasn't funny?

[/ QUOTE ]

its been quite a while, so its hard to say specifically. But as best I can recall, no one in our group of four laughed out loud once during the entire movie. I don't remember anything being funny at all about it, at all. Mostly just seemed over-acted and "forced" as a good description.

I might go back and give it another try some day. Its my brother's girlfriend's favorite movie so they both give me crap about it anytime it comes up.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:38 PM

i love this movie. extremely funny and clever, imo.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest, instead of trying to read the actual philosophy, read the literature that existentialists wrote - Notes from the Underground by Dostoyevsky, The Wall by Sartre, and The Fall by Camus should do a decent job of illustrating the concepts. Existentialism isn't really a 'theory' and I'm not sure it has 'tenets' - it's characterized more by a type of feeling or worldview rather than a set of principles, logic, etc.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I honestly rate it as one of the worst movies I've sat through .

[/ QUOTE ]

Likewise. I found it pretentious, awkward, and at times excruciating.

The jokes fell flat and the acting marked career lows for most of the cast-Jason Schwartzmann and Lily Tomlin were particularly awful.

Huckabees does tend to polarise opinion though and I know on IMDB the debate about this film still rages on....
Old 08-04-2006, 06:35 PM

Location: I\'m going to have a really long and curious location so that people will have to click on my name to see how it concludes. To anyone reading this- OWNED!

this is semi-irrelevant but I'm actually related to Henry David Thoreau.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A dissenting opinion: Disliked it intensely. Could barely sit through it. I didn't find it funny at all and particularly disliked both Lily Tomlin and Dustin Hoffman, despite the fact that they're two of my favorites. Maybe its' a generational thing--I'm 53

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and disliked it as well and am about the same age. This was the kind of movie I typically would have turned off after the first 35-45 minutes but kept watching merely out of curiosity of where it was going.