Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Dual Processors

Itanium two if for the highest end of the server business, and they usuallly put 4 to 8 processors in each server.

Saying dual core, or dual processor are both kind of unclear.

Most of the dual core processors before Core Duo and Core Solo were actually two seperate physical processors packaged next two each other in a multi-chip module.

Core Duo was the first real dual core processor processor where the there were two cores on a single chip connected to a common, shared L2 cache.

But Multi core generally refers to multi processor cores in one package (they go into one socket on the motherboard).

Multi processor refers to multiple sockets on the mother board.

I should have said dual core in my previous post.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We've been misunderstanding each other. The link the OP posted was about the New Dual-Core IntelŪ ItaniumŪ 2 Processor. That is what I've been addressing. He did say dual processors in his post but that is a common mistake for alot of people. I just assumed were all talking about dual core, since that is what his link was about.

Just a lack of communication.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you're fine. I didn't actually take a look at the link until later, at which point I realized that I was on a different page than everyone else. My bad.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:27 AM

Thanks for the detailed explanation Beavis. That was great.

Dazarath, no biggie, we were all thinking right, just talking about different things.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:40 AM

I am thinking about upgrading to dual core, because currently my PC isn't up to my needs when playing poker.

I have a prescott p4 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia 7600GS and 7200RPM HDD.

Just opening 8 tables of PokerRoom send my CPU usage to ~80% then add in PT, PAHUD, prfetch and winamp and my CPU usage sits at 100% constant, and whilst it's playable, its really slow. Cant open an IE window and picking a different track in winamp is a nightmare.

Am I correct in deducing that the bottleneck is my CPU?[I am free of spyware, viruses etc, very vigilant on this front]

And more importantly, will a dual core CPU even help me? Been thinking about getting one of those new Duo Core 2 CPU's.

Would love some advice from a PC expert!