Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 03:41 AM

Default $16: A4s with 2 BB

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t400 with t25 antes (6 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t3375)
Hero (t880)
CO (t2390)
Button (t2925)
SB (t2335)
BB (t1595)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises to t3350 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t855 (All-in), <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Sort of an ugly spot. I don't figure to be ahead of much of anything, but the blinds and antes provide a substantial overlay, and at this point I'm down to crossing my fingers anyway. Fold and get it in in the BB, or call here?
Old 08-04-2006, 04:02 AM

Default Re: $16: A4s with 2 BB

I wish I had SNGPT on my parent's computer.

Here's my thought process on this without being able to compute anything. He's making this push with 77+ AT+ and very occasionally worse if he's a totaly donk. Essentially you're totally dominated here. In addition, if you make this call and manage to double up, you will find yourself in the BB with 2300 chips, and you can expect to have your BB stolen if you don't get a good hand. This means you are likely to find yourself in the SB with 1900 chips.

If you fold here and call any raise from the BB, I think you are much less likely to be far behind than you are here, due to the hands the raiser likely is making this push with from UTG. In this scenario, if you call and win from the BB, you will end up with 1700 or 1900 chips in the SB, depending on whether or not it is the SB who raises you.

Given these circumstances it seems better to fold here and call anything in the BB.

*I initially misread the hand and didn't realize that you would be UTG and not BB next hand, but I think this only supports the case for folding more.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:49 AM

I don't like it, your hand is too far behind his range to even consider it.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:57 AM

I completely agree, I had a feeling it was a bad idea. I think I'd just decided to push when the cards were dealt, and then failed to adapt. Dumb play. Hopefully I'll remember next time.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:07 AM

According to SNGPT UTG has to be pushing 22+,A2+,K9o+,K6s+,QJo,Q9s+,JTs to make this a call. Is he? Most likely not. And there are bunch of people yet to act...
Old 08-04-2006, 10:14 AM

I understand what SNGPT is saying. But what about this...

Wouldn't you rather take this situation, getting 2:1 and major protection, than have your random cards on one of the next two hands face what will quite possibly be multiple opponents? Unless UTG has aces, you're getting about the right price to call a stronger ace or pair above threes here, and if there's any chance he could have KQ or something, it seems that this might be bad fold. I'd tend to take my chance here, with the opportunity to pick up more chips. Maybe that's a leak for me.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:06 PM

I understand what SNGPT is saying. But what about this...

Wouldn't you rather take this situation, getting 2:1 and major protection, than have your random cards on one of the next two hands face what will quite possibly be multiple opponents? Unless UTG has aces, you're getting about the right price to call a stronger ace or pair above threes here, and if there's any chance he could have KQ or something, it seems that this might be bad fold. I'd tend to take my chance here, with the opportunity to pick up more chips. Maybe that's a leak for me.

We have a winner!
Old 08-04-2006, 08:07 PM

Cair Paravel,

Nice post.