Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 04:47 PM

Default Re: The \"Do I Need to See This Movie\" Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
King Kong

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't seen the original. I thought the recent was excellent, although a little longish. It's probably borderline, but I say it's closer to must-see, although I doubt it will ever be called a classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the recent remake was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long long time. Several scenes in it made me absolutely disgusted with the overall movie, to the point that it truly ruined it all for me. (the two that top the list are the valley of insects scene and the ice skating scene).

Personally i'd say skip them both. The original is so dated at this point that its not worth watching except if you're interested as a student of film or from a historical perspective. And personally I think the recent release is so formulaic and flawed that i would avoid it at all costs.

as OP mentioned, certainly highly subjective. I know a lot people enjoyed KK, and that's certainly your opinion. Mine is that it stunk, badly
Old 08-02-2006, 04:48 PM

the only one that really matters to me on that list is american psycho. i haven't seen metropolis, and it's been a long time since i've seen platoon.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Adaptation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, this is a brilliant and completely original idea (try to argue otherwise!) for a movie. The main criticism I've read is that it degenerates into formulaic nonsense at the end. But if you believe that, you missed the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worth watching, but I hated, hated, hated the movie. But most people aren't going to have read "Story: Substance, Structure, Style and The Principles of Screenwriting" by Robert McKee, so you won't realize the screenwriter is insulting you. If you don't realize Charlie Kaufman thinks the average filmgoer, including you, is a moron, then I suppose it's enjoyable.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:49 PM

I've seen three of these and my favorite is American Psycho. Very black comedy, but if it suits your tastes, you just might find it hilarious.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:50 PM

Phoenix,

My suggestion in order:

American Psycho
Taxi Driver
Platoon
--- ok if you only make it this far ---
Metropolis (Old silent one)
Bottle Rocket

But I'm not really a fan of Wes Anderson so you may rank Bottle Rocket higher if you are...
Old 08-02-2006, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mulholland Drive

David Lynch's best work, IMO. The average moviegoer will quite possibly be seething with anger at the end, wondering what the [censored] just happened and why the [censored] they just wasted their time watching it. They will complain to no end that the movie made no sense whatsoever. But the beauty and genius of it is...it all makes perfect sense. Oh, and hot lesbian scenes.

[/ QUOTE ]
And even if you don't like David Lynch weirdness, this is a must see for the uber hot Laura Harring Naomi Watts action.

Speaking of David Lynch, I'll add Blue Velvet.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Adaptation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, this is a brilliant and completely original idea (try to argue otherwise!) for a movie. The main criticism I've read is that it degenerates into formulaic nonsense at the end. But if you believe that, you missed the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worth watching, but I hated, hated, hated the movie. But most people aren't going to have read "Story: Substance, Structure, Style and The Principles of Screenwriting" by Robert McKee, so you won't realize the screenwriter is insulting you. If you don't realize Charlie Kaufman thinks the average filmgoer, including you, is a moron, then I suppose it's enjoyable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do realize that Kaufman thinks that, and that makes it all the funnier. I'm sorry it didn't work for you.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:52 PM

Phoenix,

I'm not sure how Bottle Rocket made it on that list. One of these things is not like the other...
Old 08-02-2006, 04:52 PM

I thought Tennenbaums was enjoyable but I couldn't get more than half way through Life Aquatic, haven't seen Rushmore.

RDH- I felt I needed a comedy so that the check out girl didn't think I was insane.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Tennenbaums was enjoyable but I couldn't get more than half way through Life Aquatic, haven't seen Rushmore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rushmore is the best of the bunch.