Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Official NHL 2006 Off-Season Thread

[ QUOTE ]
The deal for Afinogenov is good, if he ever develops any finish - he's an +EV player in the new NHL but still not by much.

The Sabres should have let Biron walk UFA - why tender him a contract and try to trade him? They won't get much for him, and they might get stuck with his awful contract for a while too. And if they were going to deal or let Dumont walk, they should have done it before this arbitration award, as now they have little leverage. Sometimes I don't understand Darcy Regier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he's been trying to deal Biron for months and months, he's too patient for his own good. As for Dumont, I'm not sure exactly what he's thinking, but I really think he's waiting until the Briere situation is taken care off, and ALL the team is under contract.

From there they will go over the total cost and react as necessary.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The deal for Afinogenov is good, if he ever develops any finish - he's an +EV player in the new NHL but still not by much.

The Sabres should have let Biron walk UFA - why tender him a contract and try to trade him? They won't get much for him, and they might get stuck with his awful contract for a while too. And if they were going to deal or let Dumont walk, they should have done it before this arbitration award, as now they have little leverage. Sometimes I don't understand Darcy Regier.

[/ QUOTE ]

suprised you think "this deal is +EV but not by much". On a lot of nights he's the most dominant player on the sabres, and considering the deals given to Briere/Gomez/Havlat, i think 3 mill for Afinogenov is a steal. Who else has been signed for similar money and plays as well as he does?

As for Biron- why the hell didn't they trade him to florida/ detroit or the blues is killing me. Drop the salary/ sign Miller.

stealthcow-
Old 08-02-2006, 04:11 PM

Afinogenov is not Briere, Gomez, or Havlat. He gets a ton of chances every night and just cannot finish them. He also takes some undisciplined penalties, floats up ice, and turns the puck over too much.

None of those teams wanted Biron. Biron is an average goalie being paid too much. You can find Martin Birons on the free agent market - that's why retaining him to try to trade him was silly.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:15 PM

I know Dumont costs more, by wouldnt the Sabres rather have him then Concussion Conolly??
Old 08-02-2006, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know Dumont costs more, by wouldnt the Sabres rather have him then Concussion Conolly??

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if Mike Milbury ran your team...
Old 08-02-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Afinogenov is not Briere, Gomez, or Havlat. He gets a ton of chances every night and just cannot finish them. He also takes some undisciplined penalties, floats up ice, and turns the puck over too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i think you missed what i meant.

Peca got 2.5 mill for next year. he had what 25 points and a good postseason? York got 2.85 million and he had 50 points last season. To think either of these guys are anywhere close to as valuable as afinogenov is is ridiculous. I think Briere deserved between 3.5-4 (becuase of injuries) and Gomez between 4-4.5. I think Gomez and Briere were given arbitration awards equal to what they'd probably get on teh free agent market (ie overvalued). I think afinogenov would have gotten 3.5-4 on the open market.

As for my &lt;3 of afinogenov, i think he creates a ton of chances, open spaces and straight up speed problems for other teams. He draws tons of penalties and he's become way more of a 2 way player this past year.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:47 PM

Afinogenov probably would've gotten 4 on the open market, but I'm not exactly convinced that he is very good. He's a lot of flash and not that much finish. He got a ton of assists last season but he did not play very well in the post-season. He also doesn't play good defense or physical. You just can't compare him to York and Peca because they do a lot more on the ice than Afinogenov. With his wheels, Maxim should be a 35-40 goal scorer, and he just isn't. Pure scorers have to score a lot of points to be valuable to their team - Maxim did last year, but he didn't pre-lockout.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:49 PM

To talk about Peca's salary in relation to the number of points he gets is absolutely ridiculous. He gets paid $0 dollars to score points. Every one he gets is a bonus.

Afinogenov is probably overpaid based on performance, but not potential. A little bit of hard work put in to defence, and more effort on finish over flash, and he's a great player. As he is, he's mediocre at best.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To talk about Peca's salary in relation to the number of points he gets is absolutely ridiculous. He gets paid $0 dollars to score points. Every one he gets is a bonus.

Afinogenov is probably overpaid based on performance, but not potential. A little bit of hard work put in to defence, and more effort on finish over flash, and he's a great player. As he is, he's mediocre at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't exactly agree with your characterization of Max. He was the leading point scorer on the Sabres, so I think 3 year $10 mill is a good deal for the Sabres. In arbitration he probably would've gotten around $4 mill. He does need to work on finishing... man he'd be a sight to watch if he could get that touch.

I also want to TOTALLY agree with your Peca statement. He is the definition of a leader on and off the ice and you can't put a price on that. I also think that Briere is worth $5 million for that same reason. He is easily the clutchest player on the Sabres.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:34 AM

In mediocre player news, the Canes get Jesse Boulerice back. We'd traded him for the Weight rental, but the Blues let him go after he flipped out in the locker room. He's a crappy skater but a decent thug (except for his best fight evar lol). He'll probably spend most of his time in Albany until we have to pay Orprik back for Cole's neck when the Pens are in town.