Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 12:54 PM

Default A hand from the main event

2nd level, blinds are 50/100, my stack is about 9500. Villian's stack is 11K or so. He just got moved to my table, so I have no reads.

Villian raises to 300 in UTG+1. I flat call with 99 on button.

Flop comes 862r. Villian leads out 600, I flat call.

Turn comes a 7, not sure of the suit if there were 2 of any of them on board. Villian looks disinterested or disappointed and checks.

Bet at it or check behind?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: A hand from the main event

With a new player at the table, I definitely wouldn't get too aggressive right off, but I would absolutely bet here, or I would have possibly raised his flop bet (maybe just 2-3x's though). That "looks disinterested or disappointed" could be fishy though. Did he have As or Ks?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With a new player at the table, I definitely wouldn't get too aggressive right off, but I would absolutely bet here, or I would have possibly raised his flop bet (maybe just 2-3x's though). That "looks disinterested or disappointed" could be fishy though. Did he have As or Ks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I stated the disinterested/disappointed thing because it felt a little put on. That being said, I didn't want to give a free card to overcards. I led out 1K, and he moved in after pondering.

I ended up folding and was kicking myself for betting the turn. I think he had 88 for a flopped set or 77 for a turned set.

Later on he made the same type of move on someone else though, which made me question my fold further.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 PM

Your m is above 60, so it makes sense to play small-pot poker here. I wouldn't worry too much about villain's overcard outs on the river; his range here is basically a pocket pair or AK. Check behind on the turn and call any reasonable bet on the river.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:21 PM

You have an overpair and an OESD, I think you may be drawing here, and not him, so I would check behind and call a reasonable bet on the river if a scare card doesn't come.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your m is above 60, so it makes sense to play small-pot poker here. I wouldn't worry too much about villain's overcard outs on the river; his range here is basically a pocket pair or AK. Check behind on the turn and call any reasonable bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my thinking in calling the flop. But I agree with you that my best play is the one you described.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:38 PM

Check behind. If you're ahead here, villian may have given up after you called his C-bet and might fold overcards. If villian has you beat, you're putting money into the pot as an underdog. Basically, you're either way ahead or way behind (but with some outs).

Check/call a reasonable bet on the river, unless you make your straight.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:11 PM

I agree with using your position here to keep the pot small. I'd like to showdown the hand, and there aren't many free cards that automatically kill your hand. I agree with checking behind and calling a reasonably sized river bet.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:30 PM

If you think about it, you straight draw kills one of the five river scarecards for you (A,K,Q,J,T), so there's 16 cards in the deck you're afraid of, 8 that give you the 2nd nuts, and the rest are not going to affect your decision to call a reasonable bet on the river.

Even if the river comes A or K, I'm calling a decent sized bet.