Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 01:47 AM

Default Re: UPDATE 2 ..More Good News OG Bill .....

[ QUOTE ]
so those conservative dickwads can't use it as campaign leverage

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dont know how many times some of you need to hear that this bill received BI-PARTISAN SUPPORT in the House until you believe it. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2006, 02:30 AM

And I don't know how many times we need to explain....on party voting 99% and another party voting 60/40%....which one would you rather have in control......give me the 60/40 against.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And I don't know how many times we need to explain....on party voting 99% and another party voting 60/40%....which one would you rather have in control......give me the 60/40 against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Count me with none of the above.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Count me with none of the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what I'd be willing to do to have a viable Libertarian party, but it's a whole hell of a lot [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2006, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also this bill against internet freedom was one of the "Top 10 Priorities" of the house Republican leadership. I am disgusted that so many Democrats voted for this bill, but just about the only people opposing it were freedom loving Democrats like Dingle, Frank, and others. People should realize that this is only the beginning and the conservative right wing Republicans want to turn the internet into one big Disney channel and control what you can read or do on the internet as well.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what I'd be willing to do to have a viable Libertarian party, but it's a whole hell of a lot [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Libertarian party is nice in theory, but I just believe at this point in history any vote for them is just a 'wasted vote' since they have zero chance of gaining control of the house, senate, and white house.

There are also several tennants of the Libertarian party that are very radical, like abolishing ALL labor laws so there would be no minimum wage, no overtime laws. Also no public funding for education from elementary school to college, no federal air traffic control system, no federal interstate highway system no Federal Drug Administration to at least try and insure the drugs we are taking are safe, no FBI or federal courts, and the list goes on and on. It's nice in theory to believe the private sector would just take over all these functions and do them better than the often incompotent govt. but it just won't happen. The private sector would go back to selling you snake oil in a nano second if they thought they could get away with it. Civilization does require a certain amount of govt. whether we like to admit it or not.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If PP and PS aren't lining the pockets of every senator up for re-election right now then they deserve to what they get. They may have to be a little tricky about it, but I'm sure there's a way.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's America, they don't have to be tricky about it.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 PM

That is encouraging to hear.

I've sent a steady stream of emails/letters to both of my senators. So easy to do on the internet.

As a lifelong Republican, I've threatened to pull the plug and not only vote Democrat in the next election but to donate money if either of my Senators votes for this bill.

Yes, it is a bipartisan bill, but Goodlatte and Kyl seem to be pushing it the most and they are Republican and it seems most of the support is coming from the Republican side of the aisle at this point.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:25 PM

He didn't say anything about party lines. He said conservative. There are conservative Democrats. There aren't any liberal Republicans.

I'm not claiming to know the voting records of every member of the House, and how they voted on this bill. If I had to make a blind bet, I'd guess that *generally speaking* liberals from left-leaning districts voted against the bill.

If anyone wants to to the research to prove me wrong, please do. Again, it's just a hunch, but the liberals are your friends, here.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There aren't any liberal Republicans.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's Lincoln Chafee, who is more liberal than 3/4 of Democrats.