Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Good Non-Fiction Books

I have little experience with Mormons, but I have a cousin who lives in Salt Lake City area. He says when two Mormons shake hands, they use the other hand to cover their billfolds. Apparently, at least according to my cousin, they favor and practice all sorts of Ponzi schemes, cheating each other in the process but rarely engage in those practices with non-Mormons. Again, I can't vouch for this, but I find it interesting.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have little experience with Mormons, but I have a cousin who lives in Salt Lake City area. He says when two Mormons shake hands, they use the other hand to cover their billfolds. Apparently, at least according to my cousin, they favor and practice all sorts of Ponzi schemes, cheating each other in the process but rarely engage in those practices with non-Mormons. Again, I can't vouch for this, but I find it interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a quote from a footnote in the book:

[ QUOTE ]
Utah has been called the "fraud capital of the world" by the Wall Street Journal, and within the state, no place has more white-collar crime than Utah County. According to FBI agent Jim Malpede, at any given moment the FBI is investigating scams totally $50 million to $100 million perpetrated by con artists...based in the county. The uncommonly high incidence of fraud is a direct consequence of the uncommonly high percentage of Utah County residents who are Mormons. When Saints are invited to invest indubious schemes by other Saints, they tend to be overly trusting. Michael Hines, director of enforcement for the Utah Securities Division, told the Desert News that in Utah County it is common for scammers to ensnare their victims by asking them to evaluate the proposed investmenht through prayer. "People need to realize," Hines warned, "that God is not a good investment adviser."

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-31-2006, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Utah has been called the "fraud capital of the world" by the Wall Street Journal, and within the state, no place has more white-collar crime than Utah County. According to FBI agent Jim Malpede, at any given moment the FBI is investigating scams totally $50 million to $100 million perpetrated by con artists...based in the county. The uncommonly high incidence of fraud is a direct consequence of the uncommonly high percentage of Utah County residents who are Mormons. When Saints are invited to invest indubious schemes by other Saints, they tend to be overly trusting. Michael Hines, director of enforcement for the Utah Securities Division, told the Desert News that in Utah County it is common for scammers to ensnare their victims by asking them to evaluate the proposed investmenht through prayer. "People need to realize," Hines warned, "that God is not a good investment adviser."

[/ QUOTE ]
Do they really call themselves "Saints" like that? As in, "Jewish:Jew as Mormon:Saint"?

That seems a little presumptious.
-Sam
Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 PM

This is the most insane survival tale I've ever heard of. 20 some guys on a ship get stuck on the ice pack at the South Pole and survive for two years before being rescued. None of them died.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Do they really call themselves "Saints" like that? As in, "Jewish:Jew as Mormon:Saint"?

-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is simply shorthand for members of the LDS church (Latter Day Saints).
Old 08-01-2006, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it is simply shorthand for members of the LDS church (Latter Day Saints).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a little deeper than that. They really do regard themselves as God's Chosen People. One of the key tenets of the religion is that you too can become a god like Jesus. (That's another tenet, that Jesus started out a man and became a god.) They tend to regard non-Saints as inferior.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 PM

I thought The Botany of Desire was an excellent book.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:43 PM

A lot of the above recommendations are excellent. I'd like to add the following: Newjack and Vengeance

Both fairly gripping reads that show an inside look into worlds most people would never experience, and that the real world is frequently more dramatic than even great fiction.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:39 PM

Some descent recent releases:

"Team of Rivals" Goodwin--for interest in Politics.

"Collapse" Diamond--popscience on environment change

"Last American Man"--account of extraordianry contemporary person.

"Under the Banner of God", mentioned by many is a fun read BTW.

Old Book that is in mind: "The Brethren"--Woodward, good look at the workings of the Supreme Court
Old 08-01-2006, 08:01 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

A Voyage for Madmen by Peter Nichols