Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 07:49 AM

Default Re: the better the players the more i win...

i finally FTed a tourney last night. but of course the donk at the table owned me.

chip lead with 5 to go to 5th place. KT > AK then A3 > 66
Old 08-01-2006, 09:43 AM

Maybe you have difficulty giving up big hands. If you see a flop with KK or AA and get three callers and a [censored] board, get ready to give the hand up. My success in small buy-in tournaments is due to may ability to pick spots and conserve chips not mow the table over. Its like playing B&M 2/4. Just wait for the hands and youll never lose in that game, given a session long enough.

You can never count on a donkey to lay a hand down but you can always bank on the fact that he will call you with garbage
Old 08-01-2006, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ive played enough to know that i can beat good players but not bad players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kids say the darndest things.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, good thing those crazy talented kids are on these forums or we'd be lost [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 12:30 PM

People are a bit off here. Depending on how it's worded, the OP isn't too far off.

If the OP plays a certain style and, this is important, doesn't adjust his play very much at all, then he could in fact do better against better players. There are many tournament situations where a play is correct against more skilled opponents but not correct against the less skilled.

Here are two examples. Late in a SNG it is often correct if your opponent is reasonably tight to push every hand if it's folded to you in the small blind. If your opponent is very loose, many of the worst hands should not be pushed in that spot. One can see this using SNGPT or the method described in HOH2.

Similarly, the stop and go (calling a pfr in the blinds with the intent to push every flop) can be a huge tool against players who will raise you with a wide range and fold to your bet if they don't hit the flop reasonably hard. It's not good against guys who will raise and call with pretty much the same range (calling your push with A or K high). So basically this play works very well in higher buyins and is not very good at lower buyins for the most part.

Does this mean that there is more money to be made (in terms of ROI) at the higher buyins? Absolutely not. The key is that you have to adjust your play. If you properly adjust your play, then you will make a lot more at the lower buyins. That is far and away a better approach than playing games with better players. An important reason for this is that you will often have some of these players at your table no matter how large the buyin (consider some of the appalling early day play at the WSOP) so you still very much need to know how to play well against poor opponents. I would suggest playing lower buyin tournaments and posting and reading a lot in the forums here. Then after you have beaten them and determined what you should do in the common situations and you have the bankroll, move up. At that stage you should be much better off since you can play better against the guys that aren't very good.

Jared
Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
am i crazy here ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If you can't beat the $3 tourneys, you will get killed by better players.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:25 PM

I wonder what would happen if you put all the people who can beat only the good players and not the bad in the same tournament. Except whoever gets eliminated first wins, since they are the obviously the best player in the whole thing.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:54 PM

I really think that your putting on your best game in better skill level pools. Also your skill level might be higher than your current level due to your bankroll. This is a case for a few players. There skill level is above there bankroll but they have to play lower were there above average skill doesn't always work b/c of the variance at the lower levels and players calling an hitting.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:55 AM

Move up stakes where they respect your raises. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2006, 01:50 PM

This entire post seems to be a bad beat complaint. If this was not your intent please accept my apologies. You stated earlier that it was difficult to find holes in your game because you are not doing much wrong. Mistake number one is over estimating your game. Regarding fundamentals, as one poster pointed out earlier, betting on the river after your opponent checks HU on the end when you KNOW he is on a busted draw makes little sense. He is not going to pay you off so your bet has no positive expectation. Your biggest mistake though is complaining about beats. Bad beats suck. They happen. But when someone sucks out on you, you made the right play because you got your chips in ahead. With very few exceptions and as long as he is not getting proper odds, you should welcome opportunities when your opponent calls giving him the chance to suck out on you. It is in these spots where you will earn most of your profit. I realize that you probably know this and were just upset about losing when odds are in your favor.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 PM

I promise if you don't minraise preflop, and pot every flop with AA, your winrate will increase dramatically.