Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 08:12 AM

Default Two pair counterfitted, how to play the river

Party 3/6, 10 handed, Villian is 15/10/2 after 270 hands.
Preflop: 1 limper, Villian raises from button, Hero calls from BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], limper calls.
Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, limper checks, Villian bets, Hero raises, limper folds, Villian calls.
Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets, Villian calls.
River: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero??
Not a very good river card, what's my play?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Two pair counterfitted, how to play the river

Fold Pre-Flop he is not stealing with 1 1imper. Once you hit the flop I like how you played. On the river I would check/call. I cant see him calling a bet or raising with a hand that hasn't got tou beat.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:58 AM

Don't fold PF. This is fine hand to play 3-way getting 5-1.

I don't like your flop c/r. Either bet out (my choice), hoping for a raise and a 3-bet or wait for the turn to make your move. As you played it, you pretty much force limper out of the pot when he'll often incorrectly call a single bet getting 7- or 8-1.

The river card is pretty horrible. You can't beat anything but a bluff. I think it's pretty close between c/c and c/f. There's a decent chance that your opponent has a busted draw - AQ or AT would have played the flop correctly and could have made a thin turn call thinking he had 7 outs, and there's 2 clubs on the flop.

If you think your opponent would bluff more than 10% of the time (likely with a 2.0 PFA), then it's a c/c.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold Pre-Flop he is not stealing with 1 1imper. Once you hit the flop I like how you played. On the river I would check/call. I cant see him calling a bet or raising with a hand that hasn't got tou beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree reasonably wholeheartedly.

JT
Old 08-01-2006, 12:44 PM

very close between c-c/c-f for river.

He seems to have pretty solid stats so the only he has that I think you could beat is a club flush draw.

He's not calling this turn with a gutshot/ace high or a PP less than jack... He might have AJ or KJ which is now winning. He also might have picked up a diamond draw, which is also now winning. He could have QQ which is now winning.

He may have also been playing passivly with AK/KQ (less likely).

The big key to this hand is how often he would read your check for what it is, then bet a hand like QQ/AJ for value... if he checks these hands behind except for his kings and his flush draws, its a call. But if he bets everything/most things that beat you it's a fold.

Im leaning towards the fold because he seems fairly agressive and more likely to bet his marginal hands on the river. (This is an important characteristc that I find most people overlook, I try to notice if my opponents bet or check marginal hands on the river)
Old 08-01-2006, 12:49 PM

Preflop is meh... its marginal. I don't care what you do. Like others have said, c/c or c/f are your options. I'm tempted to call down since you don't have much of a read and he is aggressive. Either way it' close.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:33 PM

c/c for the size of the pot. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 PM

Don't fold suited connectors preflop in situations like this.

Heisenb3rq gave a very detailed analysis of what the villain could have in this hand, but I don't agree with narrowing his range nearly that much. It was a very draw-heavy flop, and he could well be calling down with a weaker hand thinking that you're on a draw. He could also have very easily called your flop c/r with AQ & then picked up the diamond draw on the turn, or still be putting you on a club/straight draw & calling down with the same. He could have a medium pocket pair. Or, yes, he could have something like AJ or QQ and have counterfieted your 2 pair on the river.

I think that makes this a pretty easy check/call situation. I could even think of some arguments in favor of bet/fold, i.e. you might get him to fold a (now) better hand, or you might get a call out of those AQ/TT/99 type hands that think you're still betting a draw--he almost certainly will not raise with a worse hand. But overall I think you're better off with a check/call.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call with sutied connectors, but not with 3 gap suited connectors
Old 08-01-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call with sutied connectors, but not with 3 gap suited connectors

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are my favorites. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, probably getting 5:1 J7s is an automatic call for me. T6s is iffy, lower than that I usually toss it.