Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 11:55 PM

Default Re: A multi-purpose turn donk

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As others have indicated, I would really like this turn play *if* it was only the TAG in the hand.

However, we have to deal with BB too, and by the stats you've indicated ... he's not going anywhere (at least most of the time).

BB has already checked the turn. I think that *you* checking the turn here is just as scarey for the TAG. Thus, if he then bets this board on the turn into two other players, we can be pretty sure he has us beat. If he checks the turn, great ... we just earned ourself a free river ... and a free shot at hitting our hand.

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why him checking is scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either? Betting folds out AJ-AK which have us dominated and allow us to win vs the BB when he's drawing. I like it, I think, and the looser/worse BB is the more I like it, since the TAG knows that you know that you aren't winning this pot without a showdown.

Surf
Old 08-01-2006, 02:30 AM

Thanks for the replies.

My thoughts have mostly been covered. The only thing I want to add is I think some of you are significantly underestimating the breadth of BB's hand range. Being HU against this guy's range in a pot of this size seemed like a very desirable outcome (at least a more desirable one than check/folding, and probably superior to taking a free river 3 handed). Plus if I do get it HU I'm very likely to have the option of a free showdown if I don't improve enough, so there's some implied odds gravy.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:28 AM

I like this play a lot. I assume you also play a turned straight this way to balance everything out.