Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Procedures for Alternates?

This is not for me but for friends (of a friend) who were complete morons and didn't register in prior to registration being closed (faxing ID's for 3rd parties to register, stupidly waiting until the last minute, relying on others to help them get in, etc.). I have no sympathy for them except my friend is caught in the middle of trying to do this enormous favor.

My understanding is that registration is closed but they are taking up to 500 alternates per day. Is there word as to when they will start accepting alternates and their money? Once they take your money, then they will get you a seat. I'm sure this will be similar to what they did in the previous events that were played 11 handed with 500 alternates.

I'm concerned that by taking in so many alternates, they won't get down to 800 per day as been stated. I'm sure 800 really means 1000 and if they continue to play 11 handed then that really means 1100 go thru to the next day.

Harrah's will do all they can to take as much money in as possible.

Is there a lineup? A set time, let's say 6am when they will allow a line up? Has anyone talked to anyone there today to find out how this procedure works?
Old 07-28-2006, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Procedures for Alternates?

I was there today at around 3pm, none of the tables were 11 handed, only 10, and when someone asked at the will call desk about signing up for alternates, he was told to come back tomorrow at 10.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:20 AM

Go to tournament registration inside of the poker room. They were taking alternates as of Friday morning at around 3 AM. When I finally decided to register Friday at 12:30 PM there were 50 or 60 alternates per day. I didn't ask when they would stop accepting alternates.

Alternates do not get mixed in to the tournament one at a time as players bust. They wait for a table to break and then open a new table full of alternates. The good thing is that you don't have to worry about any pros at your table.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:57 PM

so isnt it more adventageous to be an alternate then? you get to start 1 or 2 levels late and none of your chip stack has been blinded off. correct?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so isnt it more adventageous to be an alternate then? you get to start 1 or 2 levels late and none of your chip stack has been blinded off. correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Provided that you have an edge over the field, each hand played will be +cEV for you. Meaning each hand you don't play is -cEV. An advantageous player will always want to play as many hands as possible. 2 hours of hands lost = 2 hours of hands chips worth lost.