Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 12:45 PM

Default Concentration

How do yall maintain through these long tournaments? I play very well but sooner or later lately i just lose concentration and make very dumb and costly mistakes. Any advice?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Concentration

While I'm not involved in a hand, I try to make reads on the other players at the table. It helps keep me focused.

If you lose concentration constantly, then you might want to try smaller tournaments. Maybe a 45 player sng.

It doesn't bother me too much when my heart is just not in a tournament. But it really kills me when I feel that way in a cash game. I lose so much more money that way.

If all else fails, try smoking a bowl.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:33 PM

I prefer blunts. But anyways I used to do realy good in the long tournaments like th4 4.40 on stars but lately i cant stay interested that long, so Ill jus stick to the smaller ones for now.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:34 PM

Default My concentration only lasts so long

When losing concentration can go wrong!

I woke up in the morning, headed straight for the computer and logged in to pokerstars. Looked to see what kind of tournaments were available for play. I ended up playing in the $10 + $1 Deep Stack Tourney.

Last time I played in one of these, I played badly, and was very dissapointed in my play. So this time around I was going to play good. I played really well for six hours and ended up busting out 85th. Made it to the money, but only a $6 and change profit.

I then went on to play in some cash games. I had been playing tight, smart poker, so I felt like playing a lot more hands. First hand right off the bat, I ended up losing my $30 buy-in. I then went on tilt and lost two more buy-ins.

I played great for 6 hours and made $6.
I played crappy for 45 min. and lost $90.

I need to learn how to just walk away.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:26 AM

Default Re: My concentration only lasts so long

My problem lately has been keeping my patience in the late stages of tourneys. Usually in a field of about 700-1000 players (normally the $4K Guaranteed Freezeout on UB) I can easily make past the 2nd break right up into the third break. I usually play TAG and find myself a mid to short stack at that point. Because the blinds are escalating so quickly, I find myself getting impatient with hands (normally I notice my patience diminishes when I have about 10-12BB's worth of chips). I can't seem to get out of this rut. Does it make sense to loosen up a little earlier on in the tourney and get more aggressive, say, around the 2nd break? This bubbling of late or making min payout for 3-4 hours of work is getting frustrating.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:05 AM

I have to say and dont take this the wrong way but anyone who plays great for 6 hours wins a lot more than $6 i assure you no matter at what level..
Old 08-01-2006, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-01-2006, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I have to say and dont take this the wrong way but anyone who plays great for 6 hours wins a lot more than $6 i assure you no matter at what level..

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you played in a $10 +$1 deep stack tourney (987 entrants) and got unlucky in the end to finish 85th. You should have read my whole post before you responded. It's douches like you that make me regret posting.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrible advice.