Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 01:55 AM

Default Applying for job, knowing I\'m going away -Advice?

I am currently employed at a summer job in an academic setting, and of course, love it. The only rub is that we may not have funding for next year, and there is a strong chance that I may have to go back to work at (gag) Home Depot or some other soulsucking job.

While searching around my University's website today, I saw that one of the libraries is hiring for a circulation assistant, something that I would be very good at, as it matches my skill set and previous experience. I see this job every six to eight months on the job page.

The job posting ends Tuesday, and I'm not sure if I should apply. It's a dream job for someone still in school, as it pays well and provides very few but regular hours. To top it off, the job market in my city is INSANELY hot, but I don't know if I can get such a flexible job elsewhere.

That being said, I'm also going away to Asia in mid October for four to six weeks. I don't think they will take me on knowing that, and I don't want to mess up my chances of applying to work there when I return from my trip; should I even bother applying now to try and get my foot in the door? I do NOT want to waste their time and go in to say, right at the end of the interview "Oh, by the way..." That's not really good form, is it?

Cliff's Notes: Job popped up that works for me, and I think I would be perfect for. As soon as I would start it, I would be going away on a somewhat long trip (4-6 weeks). Job market is hot in my city. Should I bide my time and wait it out for another job offer, or get an interview and lay it on them my first week of work?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Applying for job, knowing I\'m going away -Advice?

considering one of my employees just screwed me over by directly lying when I asked him how long he thought he could stay, I think you should be truthful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]