Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 12:09 AM

Default A couple check-raising hands

I tried my hand at some 0.50/1.00 today, since I'm close to having a 300BB roll for it, and I had been stuck in a break-even stretch, so I was hoping this would change things up a little.

I encountered some strange player types at this limit at PokerStars that I just did not see at 0.25/0.50. I found players that were tight pre-flop, but very aggro with their raises pre-flop, and then went "fit or fold" post-flop (although they would c-bet too). This put in me situations to use check-raises. Here are two hands that were a result of encounters with this player type. I want to see if I'm making good choices, or if I'm suffering from FPS here.

Hand #1:

Button is 20/17/4.5 after 59 hands. Went to showdown 20%.

Our button is very aggressive pre-flop, and post-flop his AF and W2SD stats suggest that he follows a "fit or fold" mentality. It was probable that his raise here was more likely a steal attempt than a show of true strength. The call with J5o was still loose, and I won't be surprised if most of the responses tell me I should have chosen a better place to fight.

I tried the check-raise on the flop because with the board being what it was, I was pretty sure he had missed. If I wasn't reraised on the flop (which would prompt me to fold), I was going to bet the turn unless an ace fell.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

Hand #2:

Button is 29/21/7.33 with about 77 hands. Went to showdown 18%.

Another really aggressive player in this hand. Once again, a poster-boy for the "fit or fold" model, and he would go quite aggro with any made hand. He c-bets a lot too.

I caught a piece of this flop, but it was monotone. Here, I also thought he whiffed the flop. I wasn't so sure about whether or not he had a spade. Was a check-raise appropriate here?

On the turn, I bet out, since this became a Clarkmeister Theorem situation (except it was on the turn instead of river). I intended to fold to a raise. Seem good?

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets...</font>
Old 07-31-2006, 12:32 AM

Default Re: A couple check-raising hands

As you said, I'm not a big fan of your PF choices.
I fold hand 1.
Hand 2 is an insta-3bet against the type of opponent you describe. Typically you should 3-bet that have solid showdown value to steal attempts, including Ax, KQ(and the occasional KJ/T to keep your opponent guessing) and PPs.

Having made the calls I like your plays against the type of opponents you describe (fit or fold).
Old 07-31-2006, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 is an insta-3bet against the type of opponent you describe. Typically you should 3-bet that have solid showdown value to steal attempts, including Ax, KQ(and the occasional KJ/T to keep your opponent guessing) and PPs.

[/ QUOTE ]

are yo saying he should LRR? cause, i see him limping that hand UTG.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #1:

Button is 20/17/4.5 after 59 hands. Went to showdown 20%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't trust WTSD after only 59 hands. I don't mind this in blind defense. Folding preflop isn't so bad, either. I like taking shots at players who seem weak postflop.

[ QUOTE ]
I tried the check-raise on the flop because with the board being what it was, I was pretty sure he had missed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you didn't have much of a plan. When you call preflop, do you already have him on a hand range? If not, then what makes you say that you think he missed? Just "no ace/no king = he probably missed"? Do you know what flops you'll check-raise, check-fold, and bet? If you're calling with J5o, you should at least have a sense of what you're going to do. It sounds a little like you're flying by the seat of your pants here, which can be a real problem sometimes (you get lost in the hand and you end up spewing.)

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #2:

Button is 29/21/7.33 with about 77 hands. Went to showdown 18%.

[/ QUOTE ]

The check-raise is good because BB folded. If BB calls, I just call and see what happens on the turn. Bet-folding the turn is fine.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

are yo saying he should LRR? cause, i see him limping that hand UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]

my apologies, I thought hero was the BB [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2006, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As you said, I'm not a big fan of your PF choices.
I fold hand 1.

Having made the calls I like your plays against the type of opponents you describe (fit or fold).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry about my post above about hand 2, it was late and I thought you were the BB, not the limper UTG. fine as played.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Seems like for hand 1, I made a decent play, but for the wrong reasons. Next time, I'll have a set plan of action to follow before I even see the flop.

On hand 2, yeah, as Aaron said, I check-raised when I saw the BB fold. I probably would have called to the turn if he had followed.

I won both hands BTW by the villian folding to my aggression on the turn. In hand one I got lucky and spiked a jack, although I was going to bet regardless.