Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 03:20 PM

Default FT 100+9, two big draws with awkward stack sizes

two similar hands from yesterday's FT 100+9; in both cases I steal-raise with a suited connector and flop a big draw:

1. blinds 120/240/25
hero (4700)
villain (6700)

I open 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in MP1 for 700, villain calls in MP2, all fold. (villain has flat called several PFR and folded to c-bets.)

flop (1985) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I know I'm seeing the river, with possibly 14 outs to win, but making a 1/2 pot bet here leaves me in an awkward spot if villain just calls and turn bricks. How many people would just push this flop, even though it's a 2xpot overbet?

2. blinds 200/400/50
hero (6200)
villain (15000)

I open-raise T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] to 1200 from MP3, all fold to villain who calls from BB. (I am new to table, no reads.)

flop (3050) A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

villain checks, hero...

like the first hand, my draw is huge but my stack is less than 2xpot. is this a check-behind, hope to complete draw on turn or river and win a big pot? or will the board be too scary to actually make any money?

anyway, in both cases I pushed because the size of the existing pot was 1/2 my stack, which seemed big enough to win immediately, in both cases, villain folded. I'm just wondering, particularly in the second hand, whether my draw was big enough to try to win some more money on a later street?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:37 PM

Default Re: FT 100+9, two big draws with awkward stack sizes

I'm instashoving hand 2...I'm pretty sure I'd shove hand 1 as well, it would just take me 5 seconds to decide instead of .5 seconds. You played them fine, you got called on a steal in both hands then managed to take them down postflop...nothing wrong with that. In hand 2 yeah you have a nice draw, but the pot is half your stack, you need to take it down wherever you can.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:30 PM

Default Re: FT 100+9, two big draws with awkward stack sizes

In Hand 1 I check/raise push that all day. He doesn't put you on 87 ever, and he's likely to fold many hands that beat you (22-55, 77, 88) since it looks like how AA/KK might play.