Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 07:09 PM

Default 5/10 FR, AK unimproved hu, check raise on the flop

How should I react to the check raise on the flop? The board couldn't help him was my thought. However he could have had a high pocket pair. If I were him I had capped preflop any TT or better, since I knew it would be heads up. So call down with AK high as the best non pair hand with six outs, 3bet or fold? I'm not sure about the best way to play the hand against a decent or good player.

villain: VP$IP: 25 PFR: 10 AF: 2.41 out of 168 hands
what I have seen so far from him was good, aggressive poker

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, 4 folds, CO calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.5SB, 2 players)
CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises</font>, Hero ???
Old 07-30-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Re: 5/10 FR, AK unimproved hu, check raise on the flop

What do you think of those full tilt 5/10 games? I just started playing them myself...

I would just call and fold the turn UI.

He would play 88-JJ the same way and I doubt he has air that is trying to push you off your PF 3bet-worthy hand. A FD with something like AJ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or AQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is definitely a possibility but I don't think he will be holding this type of hand enough to call down with AK UI for 2 more BBs.

Haupt_234
Old 07-30-2006, 07:15 PM

Good aggressive poker does this for 2 reasons, to fold overs, or for value. He could have a set, 77, 99 or worse overs. Overs with a flush draw is also possible. I take various lines here, but in this case I 3 bet the flop and if he calls the turn line depends on the card. If he caps the flop I call and am more likely to go away on the turn.

At a minimum, you need to call the flop and see the turn getting 10:1, but I go for 3 here.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:20 PM

Call &amp; pop the turn, especially if you're planning to call down all the way anyhow.

He's going to check/raise this flop with any pocket pair, a flush draw, or even air, for the simple reason that you could have AK and the flop didn't help you if so. You've got position on him, so go ahead and use it...waiting to raise the turn is what you'd often do with a big pair here anyway, and stands the best chance of getting him to fold small/medium pockets. You can also then check through the river UI and take your "free" showdown, on the chance that he was check/raising the flop with a flush draw or something like AQ/AK.

Of course you're folding to a turn 3-bet.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:03 PM

The 5/10 fr games are definitely not harder to beat than the 3/6 or 2/4 games. Especially the 8max tables are worth a try. I really like to play there. You can find tables with an average VPIP of 33 or more 8 or 9handed.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call &amp; pop the turn, especially if you're planning to call down all the way anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that this is a better line than call/call/call. But how often do you take your hand to the river?

I usually wait to play AK/AQ like this until I have a read that the opponent is very tricky or that I have seen him make similar plays in the past. Otherwise, I just feel like im spewing with ace high if I do this every time against a semi-TAG...

So is this a standard line for you?

Haupt_234
Old 07-30-2006, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 5/10 fr games are definitely not harder to beat than the 3/6 or 2/4 games. Especially the 8max tables are worth a try. I really like to play there. You can find tables with an average VPIP of 33 or more 8 or 9handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that they really aren't hard. Since they are 9 handed and sometimes 8, though, it does take a little getting used to.

I just wish there were more running at a time. I find myself playing 2 on FTP and 2 on party in order to 4 table..

Haupt_234
Old 07-30-2006, 09:07 PM

I usually just call the raise on the flop en check/fold turn UI, unless I have a good read that suggests that another line is better.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually wait to play AK/AQ like this until I have a read that the opponent is very tricky or that I have seen him make similar plays in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opponent is 25/10/2.4. Those are definitely the stats of a player who would check/raise the flop with small/medium pockets or a draw, or maybe with air.

[ QUOTE ]
So is this a standard line for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not hardly. Sometimes I call the flop c/r planning to fold to a turn bet UI, other times I 3-bet the flop and go from there. I just think this opponent fits the profile of a player you could try the delayed bluff raise against.