Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 04:04 AM

Default M of 4 3 Limpers, Automatic Push? Different Odds for Main and Side Pot

OK I was playing the $120 + $100 push all in fest at Caesar's tonight. You start with 4500 chips if you get the add on but the blinds double every level from 50/100 to 400/800 w 50 ante. I was above average stack at this level (13,000 for me; avg stack about 9000k) and I played 2 hands (i'm counting when i was all in) the rest of the way as it is all in virtually someone every hand. If my table saw a flop (outside of an all in) in the last hour I don't remember it.

So anway, 600/1200 with 100 ante. 10 handed. I have around 8000 chips and am on the BB.

UTG goeal all in 1600, guy behind him calls (he has say 12,000 chips), guy on button calls as well. So we've got 7600 in the middle. My initial thought it this is an automatic push situation. I viewed it as getting 2 to 1 on my money to triple up if I get called by 1 of the 2 guys with any chips behind them. I've got to figure i'll get called by someone (who is getting even better odds on their money once I'm in).

But my main question is does how much does the UTG being all in for his 1600 chang things? I realize now I'm not getting 2 to 1 to triple up. Assuming I get only one caller, I'm getting 19 to 1 on my first 400 to call the original guys 1600 bet (I'm already in for 1200 and am calling 400 more for the 7600 in the pot) but then I'm getting 1 to 1 on the 6400 I have left behind that if I get called. (might have only had 5400 left but it really doesn't matter). So perhaps someone with some game theory background could post and let me know if the different odds on the different pots makes this not an automtic push. Unless I think I have some fold equity perhaps I should just take my 17 to 1 and find another hand to go in with since UTG is already all in. If I just had 3 limpers (and not UTG all in) I'm definitely pushing as then i'm 2 to 1 to triple up with 1 caller but how much does the one guy all in change things?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:38 AM

Default Re: M of 4 3 Limpers, Automatic Push? Different Odds for Main and Side

I would push with almost any reasonable holding, the looser UTG and button have been the tighter my range becomes. An important factor to consider is, how tight has UTG been? If you think he's pushing any two then you can widen your range but if he has been a rock, remember that you have to beat him with no overlay to win this pot. If your hand withstands all this criteria, then push. If not, flat call and hit a flop.