Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 03:47 AM

Default Tough spot or am I seeing monsters?

Stars 33$ R&A, about 70 left 30 or so pay

Villan is kinda loose, but more passive than agro. He has been limping way too much, but raising has been reasonable (hard to say for sure).

My image is basic, although, I did resteal from the button when a lag bet from the CO.

400/600 50a
UG+1 [15K](had limp-folded from EP before): limps
UG+2 [19K] makes it 3200
Folded to Hero in CO [22K] with AKo

The size of his raise scared the balls off me. Unless he is pretty bad, he has a very tight range here.

any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2006, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Tough spot or am I seeing monsters?

I`ve lost track of all the times waiting for a good hand coupled with " he must be on a steal even though he is a thight/passive player" thought, only to realize that he bets large cause he is so scared of getting a call, or just wants to shov the flopp, cause he cant play it with AA-KK.

These players dont change, they drive 1 speed. It is your head that screwes it up, cause we want to be in the pot/push him of it/coinflipp for a large stack, when really we find our selves in a world of [censored] most of the time.

I think you are facing a monster, just dont start looking for reasons to get involved

Stokken
Old 07-29-2006, 07:56 AM

Respectfully I disagree. This is a hand that plays good head up or multiway. There are still three players yet to act and two players already in the hand. There is approximately 5K in the pot.

Hero has the two protagonists covered. This is a good spot to chunk. Yes, you might walk into AA or KK, but you are more likely to walk into a fold from UTG+1 and an underpair from Villain.

Seventy left with 30-paying in an MTT is like Saturday in a PGA golf tournament. It is time to make a move. AKs or AKo with lots of money in the pot already is a great situation to make a move.

I chunk a large percentage of the time here, with hope of moving up in the standings. This is a time to be aggressive, not look for reasons to toss a good starting hand. This is a great situation to get into a position for making the FT and starting the FT in a strong position.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:21 PM

Spee I agree 100% with your line of thinking about the spot in the MTT. I am guessing you are probably right about the entire post. My concern is the fact that his bet screams AA-QQ, AK, if he is ABC passive, like I have him pegged.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:06 PM

I don't think it screams QQ-AA, AK at all. Who says he wont do this with TT, JJ, AQ or even 99 or AJ? Lots of people raise those here.

it's not a great spot because of stack sizes, but I'm shoving here
Old 07-29-2006, 08:19 PM

I don't know why you are thinking of AA or KK. To me a raise this big looks like he wants to take it down without a flop and that suggests 1010 AJ and middle of the road hands like that. I think someone with AA or KK bets less here to try and get some action

If you are worried then by all means call and reassess on the flop but I would be pushing it all in here.