Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Beginner\'s Guide to Self-Analyzing SNG Hands

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was stuck with -ROI at the $33s for what seemed like forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like 3 weeks? Seriously I am impressed though. It's one thing to say "I have a 22% ROI over my last 213 SNGs from last Thursday until noon yesterday." and another to say "My BR went from A to B to C" and moving up so rapidly w/o losing your shirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 weeks doesn't seem like a terribly long time when you put it that way. However, when I say I'm playing/studying poker full-time, I mean 12-16 hours per day from five to seven days per week. Over the last 10 weeks I've played over three thousand SNGs.

The key to not losing your shirt is bankroll management. Always have at least 30 buyins for the level you are it. If you are new to poker, or not that strong a poker player, bump it up to 50 buyins. Myself, I find that I need 100 buyins to feel comfortable.

Picture this scenario... you have a BR of $440 and start playing the $22s. You finish OTM over 12 consecutive SNGs (which over the course of the last 3000 SNGs has happened many times for me), and suddenly over half your BR dissapeared. You start playing much tighter, and you start folding strong drawing hands to cbets. You're timid on the bubble, because you need to make it in the money. And of course we all know that being timid on the bubble is the surest way to bust out.

Now take the same scenario, and apply it to a $2.2k bankroll. Losing 12 SNGs in a row, you are barely below $2k. You don't wig out when you see your balance, even though it is depressing to lose that many in a row.

I think my background has prepared me well for becoming a full-time student of poker. I'm in my early 30s, other than a mortgage I'm debt free, and I don't depend on poker income. Few people can quit working and play poker for three months straight without ever dipping into their BR.

Also, since my networth is much higher than say a typical college student twelve years younger than me, I don't stress out about the money much. I could easily afford to BR myself for the $215s if I thought I was good enough to play them. I feel that my BR is a barometer of my skill, and while it fluctuates with variance, it is an indicator of where I'm at.

Since I already know I'm profitable at the $11s, it would be very difficult for me to go broke since if my bankroll dropped below $1k I'd go back to the $11s.

What I lack in poker skill, I try to make up for with discipline.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Beginner\'s Guide to Self-Analyzing SNG Hands

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was stuck with -ROI at the $33s for what seemed like forever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like 3 weeks? Seriously I am impressed though. It's one thing to say "I have a 22% ROI over my last 213 SNGs from last Thursday until noon yesterday." and another to say "My BR went from A to B to C" and moving up so rapidly w/o losing your shirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

3 weeks doesn't seem like a terribly long time when you put it that way. However, when I say I'm playing/studying poker full-time, I mean 12-16 hours per day from five to seven days per week. Over the last 10 weeks I've played over three thousand SNGs.

The key to not losing your shirt is bankroll management. Always have at least 30 buyins for the level you are it. If you are new to poker, or not that strong a poker player, bump it up to 50 buyins. Myself, I find that I need 100 buyins to feel comfortable.

Picture this scenario... you have a BR of $440 and start playing the $22s. You finish OTM over 12 consecutive SNGs (which over the course of the last 3000 SNGs has happened many times for me), and suddenly over half your BR dissapeared. You start playing much tighter, and you start folding strong drawing hands to cbets. You're timid on the bubble, because you need to make it in the money. And of course we all know that being timid on the bubble is the surest way to bust out.

Now take the same scenario, and apply it to a $2.2k bankroll. Losing 12 SNGs in a row, you are barely below $2k. You don't wig out when you see your balance, even though it is depressing to lose that many in a row.

I think my background has prepared me well for becoming a full-time student of poker. I'm in my early 30s, other than a mortgage I'm debt free, and I don't depend on poker income. Few people can quit working and play poker for three months straight without ever dipping into their BR.

Also, since my networth is much higher than say a typical college student twelve years younger than me, I don't stress out about the money much. I could easily afford to BR myself for the $215s if I thought I was good enough to play them. I feel that my BR is a barometer of my skill, and while it fluctuates with variance, it is an indicator of where I'm at.

Since I already know I'm profitable at the $11s, it would be very difficult for me to go broke since if my bankroll dropped below $1k I'd go back to the $11s.

What I lack in poker skill, I try to make up for with discipline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Shot.

Flight_Risk