Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 04:50 AM

Default The Musings of Adam Friedman (Abridged) and other WSOP tidbits

So I'm strolling thru the Amazon Room tonight after 11pm. There are at least 20 single table satellites going on. I ask the satellite manager if they are still accepting alternates to the WSOP. Yes, she says, head right up to the cashier's cage. They are still accepting entries. All the STT are $1030 tourneys. Looks like there's lots of chopping going on two and three handed. They are taking 200 alternates a day.

With 30 minutes left in level 5, I hear a floorman confirm that their goal is to get down to 900 by the end of level 6. At that time, they are down to 108 tables and 1080 players left. I must say that I'm impressed that Harrah's was able to figure this out in advance so they can jam all the alternates in without risk of not making their target.

So around 11:15, I'm wandering around and I stop to watch some action between table 60 & 69 (insert your own joke here). I overhear a conversation, something about having a King high flush and the other guy had an Ace high flush. Hmmm, that sounds familiar. I'm wondering if that happened tonight when the young red headed kid introduces himself to the other guy as "Adam Friedman", he of "I played perfect poker for three days" before suffering a minor meltdown on ESPN last year. The guy turns to his friend and says this is the guy that was on TV last year. Handshakes all around. So I listen in for a bit.

The other guy turns out to be a friendly Stars qualifer. He says that 98% of poker players couldn't lay down that K high flush. Adam corrects him and says 99.98% of poker players could not lay down that flush.

The Stars qualifier asks if he bought into the ME, and Friedman says that AP bought him in because he won a $5000 seat (or something like that) and AP wanted to sponsor him for the ME. I wasn't clear on the details but that was the gist of the conversation.

The friendly Stars guy asks him about the $50K HORSE event and Friedman says he didn't play this year but he was "definitely buying in" next year.

Friedman is watching table 69 and volunteers that the guy in seat 3 is one of the best cash game players in the world. Myself and the Stars guy rubberneck. He then says the next table over (I think 78) there are two of the best cash game players in the world in Seat 3 and 9. The best cash game players in the world all have average stacks.

"There are two absolutes in this world," Friedman declares. "If you are a good tournament player but a bad cash game player, then you are a bad poker player. But if you are a good cash game player and a poor tournament player, you are a good poker player. The best players in the world are cash game players."

At that point, Jack Eiffel is walking down the aisle doing his job. Adam yells out, "JACK". No response because Jack is doing his job. Again, he yells out "JACK".

At that point, he walks down three tables, sees Jack and shakes his hand. Jack smiles back and exchanges pleasantries. Adam then proceeds to talk to one of the players at that table. Mind you, only participants are supposed to be within the ropes, but Adam stays there for several minutes.

Later, as I stroll around, I see Adam at a different area of the tournament, rubbernecking someone else. I guess he had seen enough from three of the best cash game players in the world.

I proceed to wander around the room. I watch a guy in a Poker Stars jersey put in a raise and get reraised by a guy in a Stars t-shirt. After thinking about it for a minute, the jersey guy who is short stacked pushes all in and is called by the T-shirt guy who has him covered but not by much. I think the jersey guy had about $5K and the blinds were 150/300 w/25A. The jersey guy flips over KQo and the t-shirt guy shows 77. The jersey guys stands up and the t-shirt guy remains seated. Flop comes with a K and the jersey guy gives a small fist pump. Turn is a rag and the river, of course, is a 7. Ooooohs from the table. The t-shirt guy offers his hand and the jersey guy painfully shakes it. The t-shirt guy knows he re-sucked out and stacks his chips. The jersey guy has gone dead inside with a glaze in his eyes as he pushes through crowd on the other side of the ropes.

Later, as I walk out of the Rio, I see the jersey guy, leaning against the wall, eyes aglaze, deep in thought. Unfortunately, there will be 9,000 other endings like this in the next two weeks.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:11 AM

Default Re: The Musings of Adam Friedman (Abridged) and other WSOP tidbits

Mr. and Mrs. Yee,
BS's work is melodramatic, condescending and cliché, also he seems to write a lot of things that do not have a point. I'm sorry to inform you that I will be giving him a D- in English for the term.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:28 AM

friedman looks like a tool, I saw him at bellgaio the other day playing 30/60 or 40/80 or something, far cry from buying into a 50K event
Old 07-29-2006, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
friedman looks like a tool

[/ QUOTE ]He is. I went to high school with him.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Friedman says that AP bought him in because he won a $5000 seat (or something like that) and AP wanted to sponsor him for the ME.

[/ QUOTE ]
after all the 60 cent sng's i've won on ap, i can't believe they didn't buy me a seat in the main event. i feel so betrayed, as a lean against this wall, eyes glazed, head down, deep in thought, singing a morris alpert song.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mr. and Mrs. Yee,
BS's work is melodramatic, condescending and cliché, also he seems to write a lot of things that do not have a point. I'm sorry to inform you that I will be giving him a D- in English for the term.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mr. KneeCo,
We regret to inform you that you are hereby suspended without pay from your duties as English teacher. It has come to our attention that several accusations have been made alleging that you have been accepting bribes from students. A full investigation will be conducted on this matter, however there does seem to be considerable evidence that you have given students grades as high as "D-" when their work could not possibly warrant a grade that high.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mr. and Mrs. Yee,

[/ QUOTE ]
Mr. KneeCo,
We regret to inform you that you are hereby suspended without pay from your duties as English teacher. It has come to our attention that several accusations have been made alleging that you have been soliciting unmentionable acts from students. A full investigation will be conducted on this matter, however there does seem to be considerable evidence that you have given students grades as high as "D-" when their extracurricular performance could not possibly warrant a grade that high.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:12 AM

i was waiting for the punchline..where was the effing punchline.
friedman is a douche..and the more threads we post about him, the more he gives himself a bj.