Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Two streets\' worth of value.

Thanks for explaining something to me that I clearly didn't understand.

You are and this forum is, it seems, advocating a clean cut preflop strategy for a reason that I don't think I respected as much as I should have.

It makes sense now why its standard to call with that in the bb. From my pov though I just thought I was leaving too many bets on the table with a call.

You guys are thinking the other way and thinking about losing too many bets if you are dominated. From a leak/ profit point of view mathematically your play makes the most sense over the long haul with that call position.

A9s ranks in top twenty preflop out of 169 starting hands so if the UTG raises less than 11% preflop, its a pretty good bet you are dominated and so the call would be standard.

Honestly, I can't see myself playing it that way and liking the results much no matter what the flop and turn and river are though.

In a 6 max table I would never not open for a raise instead of a call UTG. So I find it hard to imagine, probably incorrectly, that someone else could or would.

So I would put my A9s as roughly 50% equity HU against a player who played 22% and as the math says, 35% equity vs 2 opponents.

I always found that when I put someone on a bunch of set hands vs a range of hands, that I make the mistake of picking the toughest hands to play against each time I see a flop.

Maybe however that is what I should be doing? I have to think about this. Thanks for the input.

Is it important to differentiate between raising hands and calling hands in a 6 handed game from an UTG position?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Two streets\' worth of value.

[ QUOTE ]
In a 6 max table I would never not open for a raise instead of a call UTG. So I find it hard to imagine, probably incorrectly, that someone else could or would.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the single most sarcosanct rule in Micros, maybe even more sacred than "limping AA preflop = BAD." No one here breaks this rule. Ever.

In reality though, it's still just a guideline. The table I was just at before it died had 50VPIP and a PFR below 1 (seriously I was the only one who raised ever). If I'm UTG with a small suited A or like 44/55, is it profitable to limp? I really dunno.