Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 09:53 AM

Default Re: .5 / 1 Hand, can I call this?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raise pre-flop. Cap flop. Bet turn. Call river.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-28-2006, 10:18 AM

Preflop: Easy Raise

Flop: Do you guys always cap a scary flop like this facing a strong 3-bet from an unknown in the BB, with only top pair, second highest kicker...?

I like calling the flop 3-bet then value betting the turn once he checks to us, but I think facing a 3-bet from the BB on this flop usually means we are behind. We are privvy to some turn information and maybe that's why you guys are saying cap the flop, because it looks like a busted draw on the turn.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:35 AM

the bet on the flop screams to me Q8 or J8. I mean does he look like the kind of player that would 3 bet a flush draw? Maybe the check on the turn is a way to trap someone into another raise. But I have a feeling that he is now scared of the straight and/or waiting for the club. I would probably bet and if raised then throw away.

But I am confused by the logic of 3-bet on the flop. All he has is top pair which in micro limit isn't really dominate (believe me I know). And that flop has so many flush or straight possibilities. Are you 3 betting to think he would fold? Are you 3 betting and crossing your fingers that the turn and river doesn't help anyone. I guess I am too cowardly because I don't understand the play.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:03 PM

The OP isn't the one who is 3-betting, he is the raiser on the flop and must debate a flop cap or calling the BB's 3-bet.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:07 PM

Raise pre-flop. Calling here = bad.

I like flop raise. BB 3-bet is curious, but who knows what he could have. I like the advice of capping.

By capping the flop, you're pretty much obligated to bet the turn. Careful though with the four to a straight hitting the board. I wouldn't get nuts and cap the turn or anything.

River, you need to showdown.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:13 PM

*Grunch*

First thing's first, where's your PFR? I'd raise it up to take control of the hand. 99% of the time nobody's gonna fold, but one should take control and be aggressive. Don't wait until later rounds.

With no reads, I'm sensing BB has a Q or J, two pair, 88 is possible as playas have been known to check low-medium pp with multiple opponents. The thing is, you don't know where you're at due to the PFR omission.

Betting is not just for when you have the best hand. It's also to acquire info on your opponents. Since he checked, bet the turn. He might think you have the st8 and check on the river for a free showdown. I'd feel better with a free showdown than a free turn. But with no bet on the turn, you're not going to know where you're at.

Now we're at a decision on the river with a meaningless duece. I don't see folding top pair. Call.