Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Saints new head coach

Sean Payton... he was offensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys.

Last year Sean turned down a long term deal to be the head coach of Raiders. He has been a coordinator for 9 years in the NFL
Old 01-17-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Saints new head coach

He used to be offensive coordinator for the Giants. Originally Fassel called the plays himself, IIRC, because he was an offensive guy. Somebody can correct my facts if my memory is wrong.

When the offense was stagnant, Fassel let Peyton call the plays, the offense started performing better, and the change was largely credited for the turnaround. A couple of years later, when the offense became stagant, Fassel took over the play calling from Peyton. The offense performed better and the change was largely credited for the turnaround.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:25 PM

This sounds about right.

John Fox was the Def coordinator at and around the same time for the Giants under Fassel
Old 01-20-2006, 12:35 AM

Payton is held in high regard around the league, so I'm shocked he took this job. This has to be one of the worst head coaching position in the history of the league. The team stinks, they have no stadium, no city, and they might get moved. I figured a lesser-known guy would get this job; I would have thought Payton would hold out until next year before taking the Saints job.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:40 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't want that job right now. On the other hand there are what 9 coaching vacancies this year? All 9 of those coaches are going to get 2-3 years minimum. There may only be a few spots up for grabs next year. If you are going to become a Head Coach this is as good a year as any.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He used to be offensive coordinator for the Giants. Originally Fassel called the plays himself, IIRC, because he was an offensive guy. Somebody can correct my facts if my memory is wrong.

When the offense was stagnant, Fassel let Peyton call the plays, the offense started performing better, and the change was largely credited for the turnaround. A couple of years later, when the offense became stagant, Fassel took over the play calling from Peyton. The offense performed better and the change was largely credited for the turnaround.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is technically correct. However, it should also be noted that this change in playcalling coincided with the Giants beginning to play a creampuff schedule.
Incidentally, Fassell also made his 'bold' playoff guarantee the week before they played the Cardinals and a bunch of other chopped liver the last month of the season.
These two things made me feel like Fassel was kind of a perception whore.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:22 PM

I think taking this job was a smart move. Expectations are low, there is literally no downside, and Benson appears to be patient with his coaches.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:23 PM

the saints aren't going to be moved. They do plan on playing in the super dome sometime next season

Melch