Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Kill Phil summary?

Normally I would just buy this book and see for myself (and I probably will anyway... I just won't be able to right away), but being in Argentina makes it a pain to order things.

Can someone sum up the basics presented in Kill Phil? I've searched on it, and it seems to be just a preflop "system"-like strategy (bleh--- not something that I'm interested in incorporating in my game).... is that a correct assessment?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Kill Phil summary?

I just bought it. I'll let you know when I get around to reading it. It's pretty far down the list at the moment.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:01 PM

A lot of the guys over in the Books/Publications forum like this book for final table play. You may want to check over there. I haven't read it yet myself.

Indy
Old 01-20-2006, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just bought it. I'll let you know when I get around to reading it. It's pretty far down the list at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

move it up the list, it's good. better than many of the 2+2 books IMO.

i say this even though i strongly dislike blair rodman and wish i could say his book sucked.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I debated with my self this weekend standing in Barnes & Nobles. In one hand I held Kill Phill in other I hand HOH vol.1

Kill Phill is still on the shelf.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:17 PM

It is very much a preflop "system" type approach to poker for beginners who are not skilled at postflop play. The more advanced Kill Phil strategies do incorporate some basic advice for postflop play, and for making moves, so that you can try to get your big pockets pairs paid off, etc.

The system adapts well to STT's, but I think the advice and knowledge to be found in this forum is more advanced than Kill Phil.

I highly recommend the book for begining STT players who are coming from limit poker or who have no poker experience at all. I think a ring game NL player coming to STT's would be better served to start with HoH2.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:22 PM

As long as you're smart enough to make some minor adjustments (do limp with small pairs in L1 - L3 in unraised pots, don't push EVERY suited connector on the bubble, don't push every SB when ITM and a few others) you should do well with the system.

It's written for MTT but incorporates into SnG's well with some minor tweaking.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I debated with my self this weekend standing in Barnes & Nobles. In one hand I held Kill Phill in other I hand HOH vol.1

Kill Phill is still on the shelf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't know that it's better than HOH. It's more like a toss-up.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:16 PM

Kill Phill is what I'd give my sister to read if she was going to go play her first STT home game with some friends from work.

I didn't get much value out of the book myself, however. I could see how it would help a beginner cope with playing against a pro (avoid postflop decisions, push strong hands over a pro's raise, etc.)

I think employing this strategy at the PP tables would hurt you... you are basically pushing and stealing blinds or individual bets. Building big pots with strong hands is a very important skill to develop, and one this book neglects.

It's well written though.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:42 PM

good description of long ball verse small ball tactics

pretty decent discussion of general player types and attitudes you'll see at a MTT and how to counter them