Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Can the Sklansky-Chubukov Rankings be extended to other positions?

In the NLHTAP "Sklansky-Chubukov Rankings" chapter it is suggested that if it's folded to you on the button, you can divide the S-C number by two and act accordingly. What if it's folded to me in the cutoff (or hijack)? Can I divide by three (or four) and profitably move all-in if the resulting number is greater than my stack size? For example, I am dealt A9o in the hijack seat with a $20 stack in a $1/$2 NL cash game. It's folded to me. Since my S-C number is 81.7 and there are four players left to act, and 81.7 divided by 4 is greater than my stack size ($20), does this mean it is wrong for me to ever fold?
Old 07-26-2006, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Can the Sklansky-Chubukov Rankings be extended to other positions?

This post isn't getting much any replies because

a) it's a shortstack poker preflop question

b) it's push/fold poker at a ring game with a 10BB stack

so most people will think this topic sucks for those two reasons, and I have to agree.

If you have $20 at a 1/2 game, leave the table and buy-in to a lower stakes table, and that doesn't mean $25 tables, it means play at the stakes where you can buy-in max and feel comfortable.

This situation plays more like a tournament hand and might be better answered in one of those forums, although the STT forum might consider this question to be one by someone who needs to read the FAQ there and search threads about pushing ranges from the button when shortstacked.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Can the Sklansky-Chubukov Rankings be extended to other positions?

I personally find this stuff very interesting. I'm pretty sure you can't just divide by the position, but it would be pretty easy to compute the SC numbers for N people behind with a computer program.

BTW note that the SC numbers are interesting in theory, but not useful in practice, because they assume the opponents can see your exact hand. Better is to assume that opponents know your push *range*, then you compute the range which is +EV to push for a given stack size.

Maybe I'll do this and post some results.

I wrote a bit about my simulation ideas here http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=0#Post6637624