Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 06:00 PM

Default small pocket vs a 3 bet

preference for a line here? no real read but he seems like a decent player. The button (the cold caller) is retarded and could have any two.

call down, raise flop, etc?

6 handed

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: small pocket vs a 3 bet

I don't think your turn and river action correlate. Since he's not folding a better hand to the turn raise, you must feel you are ahead of his range. If you were ahead of his range on the turn, then the river changes nothing and you should value bet. He's calling with A high all day there.

But backing up, if you think you are ahead of the 3-bettor's range on the turn, then the time to protect your hand was the flop with the player to act behind you. He would have been correct to call with 6 outs getting 11.5-1 on the flop. Assuming the BB is 3-betting a decent range preflop, I think that's the line I would have taken with the intention of betting when checked to, going to showdown on most turns and rivers.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Re: small pocket vs a 3 bet

I think you should have raised the flop to isolate the BB if he has a hand like AK, AQ, etc. It's especially nice since I doubt he is going to 3-bet you OOP with a hand that is worse than yours very often.

The way you played, I like the turn raise, although I may call the turn and raise the river. As played, I would have fired again on the river, since I think he will pay off with ace high just about always. If you think the BB is passive enough to go into calldown mode with AA, KK, QQ, and other higher pairs on the turn here, then I think a raise for a free showdown is ok...but I think he has Ace high enough here to bet the river for value.

To reiterate though, I think you really have to raise the flop here, to gain a ton of information as well as to protect your hand against button outs.