Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 08:39 AM

Default 5/10 FR donk bet hu

How would you react to the donk bet? What would be your plan for the hand on the next streets?

villain: VP$IP: 45; PFR: 17; AF: 1.67; 133 hands

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $5/$10
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
7 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ???
Old 07-26-2006, 09:10 AM

Default Re: 5/10 FR donk bet hu

Interesting situation. I'd like to see what other posters say about this.

This is one where PF I just call. And I'm raising the flop without any regard to what cards come (unless an ace hits, and then I'm just calling all the way down). I do this because so many SBs raise with any ace or pocket pair, and calling bets out of position with three outs (if he's got an ace) or several overcards (if he's got a PP) is a tough spot.

As played, I probably fold to the flop donk. He's either probably got a draw (JT or two [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]s) or a bigger hand than you, and it's quite possible that you're drawing to three outs.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:39 AM

A 17PFR is raising here with just about any 2.

He's aggressive enough post flop that he may well be bluffing out, since you're hard pressed to call with the most common 3-betting hands - Ax or pairs JJ or less.

The pot is big enough that I'd want to get to showdown if I could. My style is to raise the flop. If I get 3-bet, I'll call for uber purposes and fold UI on the turn. If I get checked to on the turn, I'll check it through and hit my A on the river.

If villian's stats showed a little less testosterone in them, I think you could safely fold here. There's a wide range of hands that are ahead of you and your A outs are really iffy.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:44 AM

I think he is giving you a cheap way out of the hand and I think you should take it.

He is loose and overly aggressive, that is true. So you 3bet him PF w/ A9s after he tried to steal your blinds. I think that was a good play.

But the flop really can't get any uglier for you. He is likely to bet every street and I don't like the idea of calling 2.5 BBs down hoping he was betting with air or a draw (that missed). I would just get out while you can. You had good cards, charged him for his steal, and then totally missed the flop.

Next hand, IMO.

Haupt_234
Old 07-26-2006, 01:40 PM

This looks like a very dangerous bet to me. Your three-bet of his steal attempt preflop not only indicates at least a modicum of hand strength, but also a willingness to "go to war" more than a typical player might (your play on previous hands might enhance this image even further). I don't think he expects to win this pot with a flop bet, which very likely means he wants you to raise him.

I think folding here is fine absent much of a history in these situations with the villain, but the important thing is to remember that you did it, because you can bet that he will. Three-betting a steal attempt and then folding the flop will get expensive if you get into a pattern of it and let him exploit it.

-McGee
Old 07-26-2006, 01:52 PM

Thanks a lot, your thoughts were very helpful