Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 01:56 AM

Default colllege Courses taken via internet (distance learning)

I have the option to take all or some of my classes via internet this quarter.
being a pro poker player i worry that i will never leave my computer or room next quarter if i take them. but it seems so convenient and easy.... anyone have any experience with these internet courses?

fwiw i will take biology (doing labs at school), abnormal psych, and real estate.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:05 AM

Default Re: colllege Courses taken via internet (distance learning)

i took one online class while i was on campus just so i could sleep in. i wont do it again. it was easy, but i never did any work until the day before a test then just crammed for hours and took the test. overall i dont think i learned as much as i would have in a normal class, but then again it was easy and i didnt have to do stupid projects.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:23 AM

in highschool I took a lot of college classes online... if you are looking for easy credit and to get out of requirements I would highly recommend it as I spent a LOT less time working than the 1hr I would have had to spend in class every day and the various busywork I would have been assigned.

If you are actually interested and want to learn something, better off to do it in an actual class with a good prof and interested students.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:28 AM

Veganmav,

If you have no problem with cheating, then yeah take the online class.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:29 AM

I took a C++ class through University of phoenix. It was extremely time consuming and lacked quality IMO. Think its bad having a grad student teach your class that knows little english. Try it over the internet. I think its a toss up really. Ive heard of alot of success as well. Really depends entirely on the course. BTW, I earned my first degree through distance learning, it can be done.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:05 AM

I've taken non-major requirements like arts, histories, etc online, but wouldn't take anything I actually wanted to learn online. Like others I barely spent any time on it and just did everything the day before to get credit. OP, I wouldn't take everything online, because like you, I would be afraid I would never get out between doing work and playing poker.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:10 AM

I took a Poly Sci class online this past spring. It was a great thing for me. I loved only having to go on campus for 3 classes, not 4. Most importantly, the work load was very easy and you were given plenty of time to complete them. In my particular class I had a text book with 20-30 page chapters. Four chapters were to be read every three weeks, and an 11 question quiz (which was graded out of 10) was given for each chapter. There were 12 chapters total, plus a midterm and a final. Both the midterm and final were 50 multiple choice questions. It didn't hurt that the Prof. straight up added 20 points to everyone's midterm and final. Of course I liked my class because it was very, very easy. I've heard other poly sci classes are very similar in structure. However, I could see how other subjects might be more challenging.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:06 PM

I can jus take 1 or 2 courses online and take the other(s) at school in real life.

I think i'll at least take one of them to lighten up my schedule...
Old 07-27-2006, 08:59 AM

if you're really self-disciplined, they're fine.

however, if you're lacking self-discipline, get a proper class with rooms and people.

if you're unsure either way, go for the in person classes, as you'll meet more people and meeting more people is move valuable than the lessons that you'll learn in academia.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:19 AM

I'm tutoring a guy taking an internet calculus course. The course is HORRIBLE. No way anyone could learn calc just from taking that. In fact, I'd say an avg person would be even more confused afterwards.

Disclaimer: sample size 1