Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Whose starting law school in the fall?

I'm going to BU in the fall. If you replace family/girlfriend with good buddies from home, my story and sentiments are basically the exact same as yours. Some people I've talked to support our line of reasoning, others clearly think i made a big mistake. I hope we're right. Good luck.

Steve
Old 07-25-2006, 11:21 PM

I'm not really into being a lawyer, but I chose to do it because it made sense coming out of undergrad. I do, however, like the idea of the cash. Do you find that these types of lawyers do actually like it? That wouild be sweet. Thanks.

Steve
Old 07-25-2006, 11:22 PM

XXX,

I chose Rice for undergrad over Duke, MIT and a few other schools in large part because Rice was way cheaper and gave me lots of scholarships, while the others were way more expensive and gave me far less scholarships, so I understand your decision completely.

I didn't want to stay in Texas after graduation, so that made the choice a little more risky. With you wanting to stay in Boston, it makes the choice much easier to make.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:59 PM

No.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:07 AM

I can't wait to be a lawyer! And this is coming from me after just finishing day 1 of the BAR.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really into being a lawyer, but I chose to do it because it made sense coming out of undergrad. I do, however, like the idea of the cash. Do you find that these types of lawyers do actually like it? That wouild be sweet. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone I have spoken to regarding the subject (which is quite a few people because I am seriously considering law) has told me that the money is far and away the worst possible reason to become a lawyer and that those who enter the profession for the money invariably wind up miserable.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:19 AM

Yikes. Care to elaborate? My hope was that DrewDevil would expand on his perception of people who became lawyers strictly for financial reasons, specifically with regards to their levels of misery/satisfaction relative to those he is describing. Really, I would like to hear anyone's thoughts on choosing a career one is not passionate about or anything related to law school.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:19 AM

I'll be going into my second year and I'm looking forward to it. Here's my unsolicited advice to all incoming 1Ls...

1) many many people will try to get you down about going to law school and becoming a lawyer. omgsomuchwork, hatelife, etc. don't listen to them. most of them don't have firsthand experience and don't know what they're talking about. I know some people that are miserable at my school and others who are quite happy.

2) almost everyone will have advice for you on what you "need" to be doing - study groups, outlines, etc. the sheer volume of advice can be frightening. if something somebody says sounds good, try it out. if they sound like they're full of [censored], they are. carve your own path, don't follow someone else's.

3) trust me, no one has any [censored] clue what is going on at first. I didn't really "get" law school for the first 2.5 months.

4) I maintain that law school is as much work as you want to make it. I knew 1Ls who spent hours in the library every night and others who went out 4 nights a week.

5) grades are much more arbitrary than undergrad. typically, 100% rides on a 3 hour open-book, essay final. a large portion is just how good of a first draft writer you are. personally, I have experienced a reverse correlation between amount of effort put into a class and the grade I received.

6) for a unique perspective on law school, read Brush with the Law
Old 07-26-2006, 08:13 AM

eviljeff,

Excellent post, I agree with just about everything you said.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:08 AM

To add to what eviljeff said. Profs will try to convince you not to use commercial outlines. Eff that. Profs tried to hide the ball on you, outlines help you find it. They are better for some subjects over others, but on the whole they are VERY helpful - i swore by them.

The highcourt case series is especially good.

Also, get outlines from people who got an A in the class the year before.

The book "Law School Confidential" has some pretty good thoughts too and worth the read.

That is all - time for some MBEs!!!!!