Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 08:15 PM

Default $11R turny proper call after bluff gone wrong?

I made a play on the turn knowing my opponent who is betting at the pot on the button is rather tight and believe I can move him off the hand. I get reraised behind me and it is folded to me. I'm not sure I made the right call here. I was pretty sure I did. I know for many of you this is standard, but I was lost in the moment.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 (t10212)
MP3 (t7351)
CO (t64421)
Button (t47434)
Hero (t63133)
BB (t25980)
UTG (t20218)
UTG+1 (t40060)
MP1 (t36390)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Button calls t2000, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t5800) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t5800) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t4000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t12000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t23880</font>, Button folds, Hero calls t11880.

River: (t57560) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t57560

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Td 5d (straight, five high).
BB has 2h 3d (two pair, threes and twos).
Outcome: Hero wins t57560. </font>
Old 07-25-2006, 09:13 PM

Default Re: $11R turny proper call after bluff gone wrong?

Why did you complete? Was it because you were suited or do you always complete the SB with anything?

What was your plan after checking the flop? If the button really is tight then I'd just go ahead and bet the flop.

If button called your turn raise would you fire again at a blank river? It looks like spewing to me and it's going to take more than "A tight player bet the turn when a K fell off" to convince me it was a good play.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you complete? Was it because you were suited or do you always complete the SB with anything?

[/ QUOTE ]
I will complete with this hand in the SB all day with limpers.

[ QUOTE ]
Were you planning on check/raising the flop, then? If the button really is tight then I'd just go ahead and bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I was planning on check-raising flop and button is not only one in hand.
[ QUOTE ]
If button called your turn raise would you fire again at a blank river? It looks like spewing to me and it's going to take more than "A tight player bet the turn when a K fell off" to convince me it was a good play.

[/ QUOTE ] I would of most likely check folded on the river after my failed play at the pot. Also this reply didn't answer my original question, but I appreciate the advice
Old 07-25-2006, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I will complete with this hand in the SB all day with limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was more than one limper? The converter might be messed up.

[ QUOTE ]

Also this reply didn't answer my original question

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really not know how to figure this out? Well, we all have to learn sometime [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll walk you through it.

You were getting 3.85:1 odds. There are 8 cards in the deck that win it for you. There are 46 unseen cards in the deck. 8/46 =.174 ~ 17.4% chance to hit. With 3.8:1 odds you would have needed a 26% chance to win to make the call worthwhile. So it was an incorrect call.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:03 PM

I agree that completing here is kinda asking for trouble...playing from the SB sucks. I would have bet the flop open ended with a limped pot and just hoped to take it down right there. The turn c/r is bad imo, it just looks like a big bluff. Don't really like the call getting 4:1 either...you're definately not beating anything here, and MAY have 8 outs to win. You could be drawing to a split, or dead.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:10 PM

After going thru the hand it was definately a moronic play... In addition to that I was being a fool with this post asking for simple odds calculation. Thanks for the help all.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:15 PM

If you think the button is weak ad does not have the K, a better line is call and bet a lot of rivers, including K/4/3/2 spade and of course, your OESD outs. I would check if a T dropped, though.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:18 PM

I also think the complete is fine, with only two people in the hand and a tight button. However, if the button is tight you have to be willing to go with your read and bet this flop, most of the time he doesn't have a piece.