Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 04:51 PM

Default QTs - a bad day

Today was not a good day.
I hate those really loose players who just call you with pretty much anything and make flush, straight or a trips on the river. So, here we go...

Party Poker 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Button checks.

Should i have bet here ? It was something i regret after everybody showed their hands...

Turn: (5.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Ok, made my hand but now 2 hearts on the table. I knew that by raising i would not get a player with a flush draw to fold. But now that i think again, he only hits his flush 20 per cent of the time. I should have bet for value [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

River: (10.20 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Button calls, BB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

This third heart was not good. Here i just called, cuz the pot was so big...

Final Pot: 19.20 BB
Old 07-25-2006, 04:57 PM

Default Re: QTs - a bad day

Are the players just loose or are they loose and aggressive?

I don't really like the PF call UTG, we are OOP for the whole hand.

Also, you will make money of people who chase till the river.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:04 PM

This table was loose, but passive.

Im still quite a newbie, so i use the SSHE pre flop recommendation table. It suggest calling EP with QTs.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:06 PM

Grunching:
At a loose table, I think the limp w/ QTs is fine.

Bet that flop? Not really. Why pay 2 bets for your oesd when you can pay 1 or 0?

Raise that turn.

That was a bad card on the river. I find it hard to fold at microstakes even on this scary board. Sorry you got nailed by the runner-runner flush, it happens. Blame button for not betting his hand.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:14 PM

"Why pay 2 bets for your oesd when you can pay 1 or 0"

To push weak draws out. Even if you donīt make the draw but make a pair, your chances to win with that pair improve by every player that folds.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:40 PM

First of all, to quote the FAQ:
[ QUOTE ]

How do I deal with all these loose players sucking out on me with terrible hands?
A common complaint is that the players are so bad that it actually prevents you from making money. New players often feel that if they could just go to a game where opponents "played more reasonable hands", "respected my raises", and "didn't chase all the way to the river" they would make more money. This whole notion (to quote SSH) is absurd. Poker is a game where you profit from the mistakes of your opponents. If your opponents make more mistakes you will make more money. Loose, passive limit Holdem games are highly profitable for this reason. It is as simple as that. Focus on winning the most money, not the most pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

So don't complain when someone draws against you without proper odds and makes their hand, in the long run they are giving you their money that they hate so much.

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: (10.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Button checks.

Should i have bet here ? It was something i regret after everybody showed their hands...

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you are the one drawing. It is extremely likely that you are behind at this point. You should be kissing the floor that you got a free card. Your OESD isn't good when you take a close look at the board especially when considering that the pre-flop raiser is behind you. I check/call here.
[ QUOTE ]

Turn: (5.20 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Button calls.

Ok, made my hand but now 2 hearts on the table. I knew that by raising i would not get a player with a flush draw to fold. But now that i think again, he only hits his flush 20 per cent of the time. I should have bet for value [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
You should have raised for value because you most likely had the best hand and also to lower the value of chasing a flush draw. If you do not raise your opponent is getting at least 7.2:1. If you raise your opponent is getting 4.1:1 which is almost the exact odds you need to draw to a flush, thus it almost doesn't matter to you if they call or not. The thing you do not want to allow is a cheap card to the draw. This is a clear cut bet.

[ QUOTE ]

River: (10.20 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Button calls, BB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

This third heart was not good. Here i just called, cuz the pot was so big...

Final Pot: 19.20 BB

[/ QUOTE ]
Good call, you were getting 11.2:1 the first time around and better the second and there were only three hearts on the board.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:53 PM

Preflop limp is fine in these types of games.

Raise turn as you are not going to fold flush draws anyway so you are correct in thinking that you should have raised.

River I just call here as well some will probably advise raising but I scare easily and start seeing fullhouses and flushes in my head.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:58 PM

Preflop limp UTG is marginal, but against loose passives, it should be fine.

EDIT ON FLOP PLAY: I ran Pokerstove on this hand, with a tighter range for the button and giving the rest of the field a larger limping range. Our equity isn't good enough for a bet. I change my mind to a check/call.

Raise turn! You hit your hand, and now is not the time to be worried about flush draws or full houses even. I'm going to cap this, no question.

If you had been more aggressive on previous streets, the river card probably would not suck as much, because some of the players might have folded by now. River plays differently with aggression on previous streets.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really like the PF call UTG, we are OOP for the whole hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop limp UTG is marginal

[/ QUOTE ]

I am suprised that people dont like limping with suited broadways at this limit.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I am suprised that people dont like limping with suited broadways at this limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any advice I've ever seen would say to limp with this, except for the "never open limp" camp that really doesn't apply much at this limit.

At the very least even if it's a marginal hand a 2+2er should have the skills to outplay the competition.