Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 04:11 PM

Default Hand from stars $5 rebuy, did I play this too weak tight?

Had been playing rather TAG at this point. My reasoning for this post flop play was that I knew these players were capable of playing any Ace and believed I was beat. How would others play this hand from this position. Some people I have consulted said I should of limped and hoped to reraise.
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t8000 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP3 (t77404)
CO (t199379)
Button (t55228)
SB (t89700)
BB (t288146)
Hero (t162519)
UTG+1 (t97201)
MP1 (t168160)
MP2 (t180093)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t24000</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t24000, CO calls t24000, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (t75200) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t16000</font>, Hero folds, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: t91200
Old 07-25-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Hand from stars $5 rebuy, did I play this too weak tight?

preflop: i raise to 20k (re-raise AI if raised)
flop: i bet about 35k and then hit the brakes if called/raised.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:05 PM

You folded to a 1/5 pot sized bet because there was an A on the flop?

Such a weak flop bet is the perfect opportunity to c/r with a decent bet. Someone holding AT is going to be pretty nervous when they get c/r-ed by the UTG raiser.

[ QUOTE ]
Some people I have consulted said I should of limped and hoped to reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please never do this. You may as well just play with your big pair face up if you plan on this.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some people I have consulted said I should of limped and hoped to reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please never do this. You may as well just play with your big pair face up if you plan on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is simply not true, a limp reraise (with the proper table conditions) is a great way to get more money in the pot without tipping the strength of your hand early. In this particular situation, the big stack in the big blind had shown an affinity for raising limpers, the table was aggro in general. Words like "never" and "always" do not belong in in-depth poker discussion IMO.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:28 PM

Also, I would never check AK in this spot after raising preflop. Therefore, I think checking KK first in is the biggest mistake, because that tips our hand as a pair &lt; A much more than limp rr preflop exposes us as having KK+.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I would never check AK in this spot after raising preflop. Therefore, I think checking KK first in is the biggest mistake, because that tips our hand as a pair &lt; A much more than limp rr preflop exposes us as having KK+.

Words like "never" and "always" do not belong in in-depth poker discussion IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, which is it? I personally mostly bet AK in this spot but with aggressive opponents will occasionally check to trap.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:08 PM

I had a hand just like this last night in the Stars $20 rebuy tourney that I won. My feel was that I was beat, that someone had an Ace and I did not want to commit any more chips to the pot post flop "to see where I was" in the hand.

I knew it was kind of weak to just check and fold but I felt that I had plenty of chips left to find better spots and of course I did.

So I don't fault you on playing it this conservatively. Just as long as you're not playing this conservatively all the time or you're going to get run over.