Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 12:48 PM

Default flush draws

I am losing value on my hands, because I am always paranoid about having two of he same suit on the flop. I know it can be dreadful giviong free cards, but sometimes you just have to slowplay trips or the nut straight. I can't let myself do that because of the two suited cards I am so worried about. Can someone please throw some advice on here as how to read/play that kind of board better?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Re: flush draws

I'm no expert, and you didn't specify what type of game you're playing, low limit, middle limit, no limit, pot limit, etc., but I think the proper thing to do when you flop a big hand is to try to get as much money in the pot on all streets until it appears you're outdrawn, and drawing dead. If you give free cards, you'll allow flush draws and the like to outdraw you without making any money while you're ahead. This is bad news.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:19 PM

Location: So I put two and two together and decided - you\'re pissin\' me off.

[ QUOTE ]
I am losing value on my hands, because I am always paranoid about having two of he same suit on the flop. I know it can be dreadful giviong free cards, but sometimes you just have to slowplay trips or the nut straight. I can't let myself do that because of the two suited cards I am so worried about. Can someone please throw some advice on here as how to read/play that kind of board better?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm always amazed at the disparity between what people think that they "have to slowplay" and what actually should be slowplayed.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:40 PM

If I flop a straight flush, four of a kind, or the nut boat, I'm slowplaying it. Otherwise the donks are paying to draw.

There's nothing more satisfying than cracking somebody's set because they gave me odds to draw all the way to the river.

If there's two of a suit on the flop, and a donk has one to match, he's not folding unless you make him cry. Don't make his job easier.