Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Several questions- DOJ/Online Gaming related

Reading up all I can on this BOS v. DOJ stuff, I have a few questions...

One of the articles I read hinted that BOS and DOJ came to an agreement and BOS could resume business within, I think, 2 weeks. How can they reach an agreement to take bets from US customers if the DOJ says its illegal?

DOJ also added tax evasion on the combined amount of bets taken from US customers, about 3.1B, can they do that? Isn't the bet technically being placed in another country and therefore not subject to US taxes. Shouldn't it be only money won from a US citizen be taxed?

Lastly, if they are sucessful with this tax evasion charge, then they will have free reign at any online gaming company it chooses, since none pay US taxes, right?

Many of the online gaming stocks took a nose-dive after the BOS incident. BOS stock is still halted. SportingBetPLC's stock has been going up like 10 percent a day though and obviously the money is on this being the only incident we will see. Party and 888 have also recovered a nice chunk of the losses they suffered to the news.