Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 01:03 PM

Default str draw + over pair = push?

Had a str draw on the flop, should I push? Anyone have a rule of thumb on when to push draws?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Button ($68.52)
SB ($319.59)
BB ($341.38)
Hero ($173.54)
MP ($98.80)
CO ($85.75)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9, 9. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
[color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $4</font>, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, Button calls $4, SB (poster) calls $3.50, [color=#CC3333]BB raises to $8</font>, Hero calls $5, Button calls $5, SB calls $5.

Flop: ($36) 6, 8, 7 [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
SB checks, [color=#CC3333]BB bets $22.04</font>, Hero calls $22.04, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($80.08) Q [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($80.08) 4 [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
BB checks, [color=#CC3333]Hero bets $55</font>, BB calls $55.

Final Pot: $190.08
Old 07-25-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Re: str draw + over pair = push?

I'd have called the flop bet, then bet at the turn when villain checks, but definitely check behind on the river.

Raising the flop is good too, but it will get expensive if villain already has a big hand, a big draw, or a pair like TT or JJ that he just won't let go of. Calling to see what the turn brings looks ok. If he's drawing, he's already paying a premium for the priviledge. If he's not, you might be able to steal/win on the turn.

Once the Qc hits, bet the turn for $55 instead of the river. You can represent a flush while you still have straight outs so hands like JJ or TT or even Qx might fold if they don't also have a big club. If he already has a flush, especially the nut flush, he'll raise the turn and you can dump it. If he calls that turn bet, then you still might win by the river, but you should check behind on the river whatever comes. With the 9c, you might actually be drawing to the best flush, or you might pick up a winning straight, or your 9s might still be best, but you have no where near the nuts no matter what, and any big bets on the river will probably only get calls from hands that beat you.

Edit: Oh, and I'm not a big fan of pushing. I don't think this is a good spot for it. You still have plenty of chips to play some poker and use your position to steal on a turn scare card like the Qc that actually came in this hand.