Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 11:49 AM

Default Continuing a slowplay through the turn

The table is generally loose, and full of weak players.

So I flop a strong hand which turns into a monster, and the player to my immediate right donks out. I'm pretty sure my flop call was the right decision given the amount of players still in the pot, the strength of my hand, and the liklihood that most of these weak players would peel one off, having caught a piece of the flop.

Now for the turn. Do you call again, hoping for overcalls, or do I let loose with a raise at this point? How many overcalls do I need from my opponents to make this a better play than raising? Assume that if I call the turn, the villian will bet again giving me an opportunity to raise the river.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero...
Old 07-25-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Continuing a slowplay through the turn

Are you fracking kidding me? Do you not like money? .25/.50 is not the time to be worrying about over calls, raise the flop and hope MP2 3-bets. Hope he has J7.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:57 AM

Good heavens raise at some point.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:03 PM

*sigh*

Sorry, I don't really have time to address your questions; I'm devoting all my mental abilities to advising another player on how to play quad aces. I should be done with his question and on to yours in about a week.

[ QUOTE ]
Now for the turn. Do you call again, hoping for overcalls, or do I let loose with a raise at this point? How many overcalls do I need from my opponents to make this a better play than raising? Assume that if I call the turn, the villian will bet again giving me an opportunity to raise the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize this is simple math? If the original bettor will call your raise on the turn, but nobody else will, and then he'll check/fold the river when you bet, how many bets will you make? So, how many overcallers on the turn do you need to make going for overcalls the better play? If one (or more) of the players yet to act behind you will call your turn raise and river bet if they're holding an ace, how many overcallers do you need? If you think that all four of your opponents will call turn and river bets from the player on your right if you just call, how many need to fold to your raise to make raising wrong?
Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The table is generally loose, and full of weak players.
....liklihood that most of these weak players would peel one off, having caught a piece of the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are loose, you have more reaason to raise this since they will call anyhow.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure my flop call was the right decision

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are not going to AT LEAST raise the turn, you should have just folded the flop.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are not going to AT LEAST raise the turn, you should have just folded the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be the stupidest thing I have ever read on this board, and that is saying a lot.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:12 PM

And from OP's reply to another post:

[ QUOTE ]
umm, yeah, are you afraid to make money here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-25-2006, 12:17 PM

Okay, I can't say I didn't ask for this. I needed a good smack back into reality since I was thinking this way.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be the stupidest thing I have ever read on this board, and that is saying a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tongue in cheek Boz...

Edit: and you are right, the math is simple.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:25 PM

"Bet it, and they will call."