Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Test your reading ability!

Pretty close.

I had aces and he had queens. Now, I posted this hand because I almost folded on the turn realizing the following:

- I played my aces a little wrong in general, but not against QQ here. I could have raised all in on the flop, which probably was the better play.
- On the turn, I *have* to be beat. His big raise in early position put him in the TT-AA range. When I reraised and he didn't reraise me back, I ruled out AA and KK, so I was left with TT/JJ/QQ. When he led small on that flop and I min raised, then he called and bet strong on the turn with the Q, I knew he couldn't have JJ in that spot. So he was left with TT and QQ as the only possible hands he could hold (I was 90% certain). Yet I could not make myself fold Aces.

I guess I'm terrible. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2006, 04:51 AM

Why would I want to bother trying to guess what hand you misplayed.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:47 AM

The miniraise on the turn was terrible. You have to commit yourself there. If you want to miniraise the flop make it at least 1000 so he has some kind of a decisition there.

Obviously you were way ahead on the flop and didn't have to worry about a 2 outer. But if he doesn't catch the Q, i am not sure you get all his money in the middle with the line you took.

If a K or an ace shows on the turn instead of the Q he can get away. So you don't raise the flop to cut is outs (you don't have to worry about that) but to make sure JJ+ has a good chance to pay you of and don't get scared by the turn card.

And BTW his bet on the turn is not a strong bet, it is a suck bet to oblige you to come over the top if you had anything good or to price you in by the river.

I don't think you can lay it down on the turn as you maybe felt your misplayed AA could still beat a misplayed AQs.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:48 AM

tough crowd