Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 02:49 PM

Default id rather be the dancing bear

PL Omaha $5K Effective Stacks.

Opponent is pretty loose, but seems like he is probably a good player. I think I have a good handle on him and changing up/adjusting/reading him well into a half hour of HU play.

BB is Button. 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He raises $150 in SB. I reraise to $400. He calls.

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He bets out half pot, first time youve seen this really, $400 into $800.

Call or Raise?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:55 PM

Default Re: id rather be the dancing bear

I would raise, although the half pot bet is alittle scary.

Its a tough one, and I'm nearly changing my mind, now that I think abit more about it.

In fact, Ive changed my mind I'd call. You have position, your getting the better of him in general play, and the bet is suspicious. If you raise, half your stack is in the middle and I dont think u can fold to a push. Take a card.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:17 PM

You should just call. Although he may just be on a draw himself, he could also have a set/2 pair + a higher flush draw and be trying to induce a raise or for you to make a worse hand on the cheap. His action on the next card will probably be more indicative of his true hand strength. However if he checked the turn, I would still just take a free card when I didn't help.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:33 PM

If he checked the turn, I d bet the pot.

Also, depending on the turn card, I might call a pot bet.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:21 PM

Just call here.

You're a slight favorite over a set with no other draws, but any higher flush draw hands have you in bad shape and flush draws plus sets or KQJ have you in real bad shape. Calling and keeping the pot smaller is better for you in this case. Being in position is good.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:29 PM

Havenīt played above the 10-20 level, but when I see that move made rarely it is almost always a medium strenght hand that doesnt wasnt to go for the check-raise and commit without more info. You really cant just call on this flop with a set. So Iīm gonna say raise max and expect to take it down often.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:31 PM

If the player was tighter I'd consider raising here but given your description I'd take the good price and call. Tough to formulate a turn plan for a lot of cards which makes raising tempting but I think that is a cop-out.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:42 PM

pot if hes decent
edit: wts yer stars name?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pot if hes decent
edit: wts yer stars name?

[/ QUOTE ]

durr,

Can you expand on why you would raise here? Do you think the opp's weak lead means a really weak hand like 2pair no draw or something that can't call a raise? Or do you just want to get all-in on the flop no matter what? Or am I thinking completely wrong?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:27 AM

Some hands he could have are AAxx with nut flush or without, KKxx with some straight and flush draws, TTxx with straight or flush draws., ATxx with some flush and straight draw or also some combo KQJT type hands with flush draws as well.

I would raise this if I was out of postion but call in this spot mainly because you would like money left to bet and to be able to use your position to outplay him. I like this because you have some draws that are likely to paid off (low straights) and can represent some hands that are not likely to be paid off like broadway straights. If you hit the flush you can then use your read to extract a value bet if you think he's really weak or use your position to get a cheap showdown or not pay him off when you think he has the nut flush. I think raising and representing Aces and calling are both +EV plays but that calling here and using your position is probably best here.