Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Event #27 hand....

I'm not sure if this should be here or in the Multi-Table forum. I'm posting it here because my friend wanted me too. If it should be moved please do the moving Mods.

This is a friends hand not my own. It's his words and not my own:

i played in my first wsop event - the $1500 NL. with starting blinds at 25-25 and only 1500 starting chips, they really don't give you much room to manuever and splash around. quick scenario - still level 1 : i'm in the cut-off with AJ. one late position limper so i raise to 125. blinds fold, limper calls (this guy just moved to our table so i have no read on him at all). flop comes A-3-3. he checks, i check behind. turn is a Q. he leads for 175 into the 300 pot. i raise to 400 total. he re-raises another 400. dilemma time. i only have 1000 left so it's either fold or push. it's hard to put him on AQ or AK since he limped in late position and i don't put him on a 3 calling a raise out of position. what would you do in this situation? i went in the tank and really felt that was a probe re-raise and he might've had a weaker A or KQ. i ended up pushing all-in... overplayed my AJ and got smashed by quad 3's. with such a small amount of starting chips - was this a justifed play or should i have def. picked a better spot ??
Old 07-24-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Event #27 hand....

whoa just call turn
Old 07-24-2006, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whoa just call turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously? Why are we raising preflop to passively call down when we, seemingly, make our hand?
Old 07-24-2006, 05:15 PM

If he called the 400 re-raise wouldn't that only leave him 600 behind? I think it'd get all in on the river anyway.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:04 PM

After the 400 reraise, you absolutely have to dump this almost 100% of the time, as it is almost certain that you are crushed... What is he doing this with that you beat?
Old 07-24-2006, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whoa just call turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously? Why are we raising preflop to passively call down when we, seemingly, make our hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

By checking behind the flop, we have allowed him to start putting in money if he's behind. By raising, we make sure he only keeps doing it if he's not behind. The board isn't that tremendous for us, we chop with any ace unless it's A3, AQ or AK, in which case we are beaten.

When you do raise the turn and get 3 bet, instadump. You are at the very best, chopping, unless opp is a total donk. You raised preflop, checked behind the flop, then raised the turn on A33Q. He has to know you likely have a strong hand, and he says he doesn't care.