Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Homeschooling

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because that's where the other children are that are a representative cross-section of the society in which they will very likely be living for the rest of their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this kind of relates to my thinking.

In most inner-city public schools the child will be around a cross-section of students that almost no parent wishes their child to grow up to be the peer of. I know what group I want my child to be a part of, and that's why I do what I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

A valid concern. A much better solution? Move. Because you can't keep them locked up in your apartment for life when they graduate.

If you can't move, let them go anyway. At least they will know how to deal with their neighbors then, even if it doesn't mean being best friends with them.

eastbay
Old 07-24-2006, 09:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This was a serious thread?

There are organizations and groups and some homeschoolers get their own things together for group socialization.

[/ QUOTE ]

Group socialization is not four kids speculating about how tall Jehovah is.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The responses in this thread are laughable. Why is it so OBVIOUS to everyone that the ONLY proper way to raise a child is to send him off to government schools

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is questioning that a homeschooling children is far superior for their academic education than public schooling (and anyone who does is retarded). The argument here is the child's social skills that will fail to develop and cause her trouble later in life.

[ QUOTE ]
Christians value honesty, generosity, family, etc. Now who is the obvious choice to raise children?

[/ QUOTE ]

Parents are.

However, I'll take the government over the Church any day of the week.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The responses in this thread are laughable. Why is it so OBVIOUS to everyone that the ONLY proper way to raise a child is to send him off to government schools

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is questioning that a homeschooling children is far superior for their academic education than public schooling (and anyone who does is retarded).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is as laughable as any post in this thread.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is questioning that a homeschooling children is far superior for their academic education than public schooling (and anyone who does is retarded).

[/ QUOTE ]
This is as laughable as any post in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, WTF?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your kids will get a better education at a christian school instead of a public school.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Klompy- This couldn't be further from the truth. I spent 9 years of my education in a parochial school. When I made the switch to public school, I found the education far superior. Particularly in the Social Studies and Science areas.

Max- It looks as if you are choosing to homeschool for the explicit purpose of controling your daughter's thoughts. This is a terrible idea. Why not send her out into the world and guide her through good parenting? IMO, a good parent lets their child make mistakes and then shows them why it was a mistake and the correct path. You can't shelter her forever. Again, that's just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:31 AM

EUONYM!!!!!!!

Please let your child out of the house. She needs to get made fun of, develop relationships, interact with other children socially in an academic environment, throw spitwads at the teacher, get rejected, skip school, etc
Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 AM

as someone who grew up extremely pissed off with the public school system, it seems like a MAJOR blunder for the vast vast vast vast majority of parents to homeschool their children.

I have met a lot of homeschooled kids and they are all completely incompetent socially. They are great kids. Nice, calm-mannered, and bright. But they have absolutely no clue how to interact, make, or maintain friends.

I can understand you wanting to impart your values on your children. You can play with them, you can talk with them, and if you're lucky they'll have enough patience to let you take them fishing. Whatever. You do not need all day to preach.

Don't be afraid to let your children make their own mistakes.

And besides, why not send them to parochial school if you're so worried about a Christian education?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:44 AM

acoustix, I can't really say anything about the parochial schools because I know nothing about them, but i'm guessing they're catholic. I attended a christian school up until college and the quality of the education was better then most public school imo. I think that most of the time private schools will be better in many ways, especialy the teacher/student ratio. This is obviously not 100% true though, and parents should do a lot of research to figure out if the school is good enough or not.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that most of the time private schools will be better in many ways, especialy the teacher/student ratio. This is obviously not 100% true though, and parents should do a lot of research to figure out if the school is good enough or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not even close to being true. Many private schools have dreadful student to teacher ratios. I've seen several Catholic schools with 45 kids in a room. The typical size of an elementary classroom is 20-25. The quality of public schools is quite good when compared to private schools, especially if your child has any kind of disability. Plus the diverse offerings of most schools these days is far superior to private schools. Private schools simply don't have the money to offer such a wide variety of electives. Don't even get me started on the qualifications for teaching at private vs. public schools. I've seen private schools where to be qualified you had to have a BA in anything and a heartbeat. Compare this to public schools which require degrees in education plus content area certifications and ongoing training and staff development.

Gerald Bracey has done some work on the state of education in America that is worth looking at.

Questions for those who want to homeschool:
1. Do you know how to teach reading and writing using best practice?
2. Do you know how to teach math using best practice?
3. Are you prepared to teach your child if they struggle or need enrichment with either of these areas?
4. Are you comfortable teaching all areas of science and social studies?
5. What about art, music, etc?

I won't argue that in public schools all teachers use best practice, but for me the answer for should I homeschool is easy. No. Let the professionals do their job, but take an active role in the educational process. COnference with the teachers, etc.