Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Choose...
80% probability, 20% psychology 31 50.82%
100% probability 3 4.92%
50% probability, 50% psychology 16 26.23%
20% probability, 80% psychology 11 18.03%
100% psychology 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2006, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Best tournament player of all time

i'm glad that people are finally realizing what i've known since the last few days - that jeff madsen is clearly the best tournament player ever.
poker is a progression. if one person has dominated so clearly in the last week or two, it's pretty obvious that he has risen to the level of greatest tourny player ever. after all, thats whats happening now! so he's obviously gotten better as a player than everyone else.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
El Diablo,

Bravo. It's about time someone made a "best of all time" poll that actually had reasonable choices. I'm gonna go through each 1 by 1 with some analysis before giving my overall decision.

Jeff Madsen -- kid is 21 and has mad skillz. He won a regular NLH event. No big deal, a lot of guys have done that. Youngest ever, though, so that's pretty tight. But his 2nd bracelet was in the 6-max event. All of us online ballers know that 6-max is where it's at. Full ring is for the nizzits. You have to ball, plain and simple, and he balled. Flat out posterized E-dog. I haven't even mentioned his Omaha/8 final table. I mean, come on, Omaha/8, I didn't even know people still played that, and he's scoring bones, dragging pots, and clowning guys 1.2 times his age. Even if he's not the best ever (and I ain't saying that yet), this is the breakout performance of all time.

John Gale -- this guy is for real. WPT, WSOP, what can I say. He should have had a bracelet last year, but that guy from the Beach Boys sucked out on him over and over. Talk about BS. That dude couldn't sing, and he can't play poker, and he lucks out. If Gale had won that, he'd be higher up in my mind, but he didn't, so I can't give him a ton of props just yet. Mark my words, though, guy is fo' real.

Joe Hachem -- Only won the most money ever. $7.5 million baby. Pass the sugah' and then pass me the cheese. I have seen 2005 WSOP over 44 times in its entirety, and this man has made me squeal with pleasure on a number of occasions. Plus I have a soft spot in my heart for him since he purposely got 2nd to Dutch Boyd so that Boyd would have enough money to pay MS Sunshine the $56,000 that he owes. Barry Greenstein gives money to kids. Joe Hachem gives money to poker players. Nuff sed.

Daniel Negreanu -- I think you jumped the gun on this one. He has 2 WSOP wins, but hasn't done anything in the WSOP except rebuy a lot. Talent wise he is scary, but last year he just got owned over and over. Plus, if I remember, he plays in the cash games some. Is it possible you're just attracted to him, and that you put him on the list because you want to see more of him? I'm a little surprised at that Diablo. You can't be biased when you're creating these polls, no matter how cute a guy is. Besides, he's married to Evelyn Ng.

Johnny Chan -- Dude beat Seidel. He flopped the nut straight and checked it 3 times. Has there ever been a single event that encompassed more pure ownage than this? I doubt it. 10 bracelets baby. Plus, he took it all home and won PSII, and I don't mean stacked on the Sony gaming console. I haven't seen much of his play though, so I don't know a ton about him. I guess a lot of his bracelets were in weird games, like DONKEY and loogie or whatever that one game is. Chan is the bomb, but I don't think he's enough to win this crown.

Phil Hellmuth -- We might have a winner, folks. A couple days ago Ivey said that nobody plays every hand perfect, except Phil Hellmuth. I mean, a lot of people think Ivey is the best player around, and he says Phil Hellmuth plays ever hand perfect. Plus, the guy is a 9 time Hold em champion. Plus he won the heads up tournament. He's the only guy who doesn't need any luck to win. In fact, if there weren't luck involved, he'd probably win every one. I heard some guys talking at Wendy's, and they said that Phil Hellmuth will probably win 20 bracelets in his life. That's a lot of bracelets. He's basically Superman. He can dodge bullets. He has X-ray vision into people's souls. When this guy is in the zone, it's like when Jordan said he thought the rim was "a big old, huge bucket."

Doyle Brunson -- This guy is really good. He's 91 years old, and he's still balling. I haven't seen much of him on TV though. I'd like to see more of him. For now, I'll assume he's really good, but it's hard to call him the best.

Now for the add ins: I'm glad you remembered these guys. I applaud you for realizing nothing is perfect on the first try.

Bill Chen -- 2 bracelets. One in limit. That is for real. Limit hold 'em is all luck. I heard Mike Matusow say it. So for him to win a bracelet in a skill game and a luck game in the same year is pretty amazing. It shows he can avoid all the landmines (copyright NYWalker) but he's also got game. If he was younger, I'd say he's up there with Madsen. But guy is old, and I've never heard of him before this year, so I don't know what was going on in his life before this year. Guess he was sucking.

Stu Ungar -- What a shame. Guy played 30 tournaments in his life. He won 10. Period. End of story. 1/3. Only guy who comes close to that is Madsen.

Michael "The Grinder" Mizrachi -- this guy is dirty nasty. I can't give him the credit for best of all time yet, but in about 2 years, we may have to start rethinking that. This guy is gonna win some tourneys, that's all there is to it.

There are 10 guys here, that is fitting, so I will rank them from 1 to 10 on a best ever scale.

1) Phil Hellmuth
2) Jeff Madsen
3) Joe Hachem
4) Stu Ungar
5) Michael Mizrachi
6) John Gale
7) Bill Chen
8) Johnny Chan
9) Doyle Brunson
10) Daniel Negreanu

There are some guys who probably should be on this list, but didn't get there.

Tuan Le -- asian baller
Gus Hansen -- Sexy man. And did you see his call with T8ss versus Antonio. What a sick read.

Thanks for this poll, El Diablo. It has really forced me to think about who has tournament game, and who doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stuey.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2006, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I skimmed the first 50 replies until I got tired of reading replies from gullible retards.

[/ QUOTE ]

As if telling everyone they are gullible retards makes you look cooler? The internet (and its anonymity) really brings out the worst side in people - even if they don't notice.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
El Diablo,

Bravo. It's about time someone made a "best of all time" poll that actually had reasonable choices. I'm gonna go through each 1 by 1 with some analysis before giving my overall decision.

Jeff Madsen -- kid is 21 and has mad skillz. He won a regular NLH event. No big deal, a lot of guys have done that. Youngest ever, though, so that's pretty tight. But his 2nd bracelet was in the 6-max event. All of us online ballers know that 6-max is where it's at. Full ring is for the nizzits. You have to ball, plain and simple, and he balled. Flat out posterized E-dog. I haven't even mentioned his Omaha/8 final table. I mean, come on, Omaha/8, I didn't even know people still played that, and he's scoring bones, dragging pots, and clowning guys 1.2 times his age. Even if he's not the best ever (and I ain't saying that yet), this is the breakout performance of all time.

John Gale -- this guy is for real. WPT, WSOP, what can I say. He should have had a bracelet last year, but that guy from the Beach Boys sucked out on him over and over. Talk about BS. That dude couldn't sing, and he can't play poker, and he lucks out. If Gale had won that, he'd be higher up in my mind, but he didn't, so I can't give him a ton of props just yet. Mark my words, though, guy is fo' real.

Joe Hachem -- Only won the most money ever. $7.5 million baby. Pass the sugah' and then pass me the cheese. I have seen 2005 WSOP over 44 times in its entirety, and this man has made me squeal with pleasure on a number of occasions. Plus I have a soft spot in my heart for him since he purposely got 2nd to Dutch Boyd so that Boyd would have enough money to pay MS Sunshine the $56,000 that he owes. Barry Greenstein gives money to kids. Joe Hachem gives money to poker players. Nuff sed.

Daniel Negreanu -- I think you jumped the gun on this one. He has 2 WSOP wins, but hasn't done anything in the WSOP except rebuy a lot. Talent wise he is scary, but last year he just got owned over and over. Plus, if I remember, he plays in the cash games some. Is it possible you're just attracted to him, and that you put him on the list because you want to see more of him? I'm a little surprised at that Diablo. You can't be biased when you're creating these polls, no matter how cute a guy is. Besides, he's married to Evelyn Ng.

Johnny Chan -- Dude beat Seidel. He flopped the nut straight and checked it 3 times. Has there ever been a single event that encompassed more pure ownage than this? I doubt it. 10 bracelets baby. Plus, he took it all home and won PSII, and I don't mean stacked on the Sony gaming console. I haven't seen much of his play though, so I don't know a ton about him. I guess a lot of his bracelets were in weird games, like DONKEY and loogie or whatever that one game is. Chan is the bomb, but I don't think he's enough to win this crown.

Phil Hellmuth -- We might have a winner, folks. A couple days ago Ivey said that nobody plays every hand perfect, except Phil Hellmuth. I mean, a lot of people think Ivey is the best player around, and he says Phil Hellmuth plays ever hand perfect. Plus, the guy is a 9 time Hold em champion. Plus he won the heads up tournament. He's the only guy who doesn't need any luck to win. In fact, if there weren't luck involved, he'd probably win every one. I heard some guys talking at Wendy's, and they said that Phil Hellmuth will probably win 20 bracelets in his life. That's a lot of bracelets. He's basically Superman. He can dodge bullets. He has X-ray vision into people's souls. When this guy is in the zone, it's like when Jordan said he thought the rim was "a big old, huge bucket."

Doyle Brunson -- This guy is really good. He's 91 years old, and he's still balling. I haven't seen much of him on TV though. I'd like to see more of him. For now, I'll assume he's really good, but it's hard to call him the best.

Now for the add ins: I'm glad you remembered these guys. I applaud you for realizing nothing is perfect on the first try.

Bill Chen -- 2 bracelets. One in limit. That is for real. Limit hold 'em is all luck. I heard Mike Matusow say it. So for him to win a bracelet in a skill game and a luck game in the same year is pretty amazing. It shows he can avoid all the landmines (copyright NYWalker) but he's also got game. If he was younger, I'd say he's up there with Madsen. But guy is old, and I've never heard of him before this year, so I don't know what was going on in his life before this year. Guess he was sucking.

Stu Ungar -- What a shame. Guy played 30 tournaments in his life. He won 10. Period. End of story. 1/3. Only guy who comes close to that is Madsen.

Michael "The Grinder" Mizrachi -- this guy is dirty nasty. I can't give him the credit for best of all time yet, but in about 2 years, we may have to start rethinking that. This guy is gonna win some tourneys, that's all there is to it.

There are 10 guys here, that is fitting, so I will rank them from 1 to 10 on a best ever scale.

1) Phil Hellmuth
2) Jeff Madsen
3) Joe Hachem
4) Stu Ungar
5) Michael Mizrachi
6) John Gale
7) Bill Chen
8) Johnny Chan
9) Doyle Brunson
10) Daniel Negreanu

There are some guys who probably should be on this list, but didn't get there.

Tuan Le -- asian baller
Gus Hansen -- Sexy man. And did you see his call with T8ss versus Antonio. What a sick read.

Thanks for this poll, El Diablo. It has really forced me to think about who has tournament game, and who doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2006, 11:38 AM

stu ungar
Old 07-24-2006, 11:46 AM

Default Unger, Ivy, Chan, Hellmuth.

because of his outside businesses johnny chan plays fewer tourney's and still wins.
today when he is focused i would take phil ivy over all of them.
and you left off stu unger, who might be the best ever.
plus hellmuth is very good, i hate him at my table, his track record is impressive.
i hate these polls so i didn't vote.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Unger, Ivy, Chan, Hellmuth.

MADSEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you guys don't think Madsen is the greatest tournament player of all time then you have no clue what you are talking about.

The kid just turned 21 years old one month ago and already has 2 bracelets!!!

You are hearing it here first: I guarantee Madsen has at least 50 bracelets by the time he is 50.

-KN
Old 07-24-2006, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
because of his outside businesses johnny chan plays fewer tourney's and still wins.
today when he is focused i would take phil ivy over all of them.
and you left off stu unger, who might be the best ever.
plus hellmuth is very good, i hate him at my table, his track record is impressive.
i hate these polls so i didn't vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

reg'd in '04, 1000+ posts, thought this thread was genuine....wow......
Old 07-24-2006, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are hearing it here first: I guarantee Madsen has at least 115 bracelets by the time he is 50.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO he is running a little cold this series.